Thread: Cant create new folder in different drive

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Cant create new folder in different drive

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    Yes, definitely.

Again, if it's a NTFS formatted partition we're talking about, and if said drive has been used by Windows (with Fast Startup eneabled, the default state, by the way), regardless of you having or not Windows at the moment, that drive is now "read-only". You can backup all its contents to somewhere else and then reformat it if you want. Otherwise you need to mount it in Windows and then disable Fast Startup and then shutdown.

Also of note is that unless you absolutely need that partition to be shared between Linux and Windows, there's no point in keeping it as NTFS. Linux distros don't have the proper tools for correcting that file system if problems arise (and they will). If using only with Linux then EXT4 is arguably the best choice.
    Well, reformatting only touches the specific partition, so technically, no, it doesn’t wipe the drive, just the partition selected. However, new hdds are often shipped with just 1 partition, so 99.9999% of the drive would be wiped due to reformat task. In the linux world, it is common to have 2-5 or more partitions on a drive. There are a number of reasons for this.

Beans

Thank you! Ill try to do this in the morning tomorrow, so if any problems arise you can expect them 9 hours from now

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Anyway, I'd use the gparted tool to check out the storage and reformat as needed. There might be other ways.
    sudo -H gparted is the exact command I'd use in a terminal. Then I'd be extremely careful to select the correct drive, then correct partition, then right-click and choose ext4 to format, say "apply" and let that run for 20-90 seconds.Then close that application. Note the exact device you formatted - probably something like sdc1 or sdd1. You need that for the next step.
    I open up GParted and i right click on the drive, but most things are greyed out. All i can press is unmount, manage flags, and information. It also boots up with an error saying "Can't have a partition outside the disk!"
    Last edited by pigswipe; May 11th, 2020 at 11:59 PM. Reason: More info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Please do not confuse a "drive" with a "partition". i suspect that has been happening above. MS-Windows uses both terms, often interchangeably. This is incorrect. On Linux, the difference matters greatly. i won't be able to help without completely accurate information.

Be certain that you've selected the correct drive. I’m assuming there are 2 drives in the machine. it matters.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Please do not confuse a "drive" with a "partition". i suspect that has been happening above. MS-Windows uses both terms, often interchangeably. This is incorrect. On Linux, the difference matters greatly. i won't be able to help without completely accurate information.

Be certain that you've selected the correct drive. I’m assuming there are 2 drives in the machine. it matters.
    I certainly dont remember setting up partitions on windows, but i have no clue if there is or not. On linux it says theres one, and theres also like 5 drives in the pc

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Its 5 partitions in the PC.

You cannot use gparted in your install, you have to use live installer's gparted or a gparted live system.
    If you have little key icons on the partition that shows it mounted, so you cannot edit it.

You use Windows chkdsk on NTFS partitions and Linux fsck or e2fsck on your ext4 partitions.

Post these from Ubuntu live installer's terminal & paste output here, if longer use code tags. You can easily add code tags with Forum's advanced editor and # icon.

sudo parted -l
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I listened to the directions on the other posts but instead of using sudo for gparted i just used normal gparted and it worked! Thanks everyone!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12