Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New KDE start menu

win_zik Guest

Re: New KDE start menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brunellus View Post
    is it really all that different from WinXP? You be the judge

(note: I run WinXP at work, but have the start menu top-left to make it more GNOMElike)
    Yes it is. However, you're the one claiming it's similar, so how about you telling us what makes it similar?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Similarities:

1) "hot list" of apps available on first click

2) "All Applications" button

3) Link to "home" or "My Documents" on first click

4) Link to control panel/setup on first click.

The oritentation is slightly different, but I find them similar enough.

Innovation in the KDE 4 start menu:

The search box (good move, KDE devs. seriously!)

Beans

Call me Blindy-McBlinderson, but I don't really see any significant similarities between XP's Start Menu, the new KDE K Menu, and Novell's and/ or GNOME's (is this going to be an official part of GNOME?) "Slab", beyond the kind of things that would be useful in a widget of this kind. Form follows function, and all that

In fact, given the restrictive parameters the designs are subject to, I'd say that the three designs were surprisingly varied.
    Last edited by GeneralZod; August 22nd, 2006 at 09:13 PM. Reason: crap english

win_zik Guest

Similarities:

1) "hot list" of apps available on first click
    In a way but favorites!=most used

2) "All Applications" button
    Totally different implementation of this

3) Link to "home" or "My Documents" on first click
    Sigh, as it's set as a favorite in this instance.
    Anyway, the current gnome menu, the new gnome menu from Novell and the current KDE menu also offer fast access to your home.
    4) Link to control panel/setup on first click.
    Again, this is not part of the new menu, but simply a setting in this particular menu.

Innovation in the KDE 4 start menu:
    This isn't the KDE 4 start menu, but who needs facts anyway...

=D> =D>

Beans
    Distro

I stand corrected as to the KDE version. the general impression I get is one of considerable similarity.

Put in the positive--windows users will not find themselves in a jarringly different environment. Good thing, probably?

Again, I'm making an observation, not necessarily a criticism (or would that be Kriticism?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Why is it that when something the least bit cool looking comes along, it's instantly downgraded as being "too much like XP." What, did Microsoft never have any good design ideas?

regards,
    -dc

win_zik Guest

I stand corrected as to the KDE version. the general impression I get is one of considerable similarity.
    You are of course free to get any impression you want, however so far you were absolutely unable to back it up.

And stop acting as if your first comment wasn't critical.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by -deadcats View Post
    Why is it that when something the least bit cool looking comes along, it's instantly downgraded as being "too much like XP." What, did Microsoft never have any good design ideas?

regards,
    -dc
    I remember when Ubuntu first had the "Updates available!" bubble in the System Tray a bunch of people were quick to scream "It's like teh *******! If they go through with this I'm leaving Ubuntu and never coming back!, etc" as if the concept of actually informing a new user that important security updates were available and should be installed was some terrible travesty that could only have been belched out of the smouldering flames of Mount Redmond, rather than, you know, a genuinely good idea that aids both security and usability

The most baffling thing is the implicit statement that Microsoft have some kind of monopoly on slick and useful features

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by win_zik View Post
    You are of course free to get any impression you want, however so far you were absolutely unable to back it up.

And stop acting as if your first comment wasn't critical.
    Nothing which you cited is obvious to anyone making a judgement only on the basis of a screenshot (which is what we're doing here). The difference in implementation is not something I can see right now. Likewise, *how* items are presented or *why* they are presented in the places they are presented is unknowable in a static screenshot.

They may look and feel different *live*, but from a quick first impression standpoint, they are similar enough.

win_zik Guest

Nothing which you cited is obvious to anyone making a judgement only on the basis of a screenshot (which is what we're doing here). The difference in implementation is not something I can see right now. Likewise, *how* items are presented or *why* they are presented in the places they are presented is unknowable in a static screenshot.
    That's not true either. What you see in the screenshot is the list of favorite apps. Now it shouldn't come as a surprise that users are able to change their favorite apps. What logically follows from this is that several of the similarities you so desperately want to see are only there because the programs are part of the users favorites.

Anyway, if you don't think a screenshot is enough to make a judgement, simply don't make one.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast