Thread: Which Linux distribution supports old computer with an unsupported ATI legacy GPU?

Beans

Which Linux distribution supports old computer with an unsupported ATI legacy GPU?

I tried Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Zorin OS and Remix OS (Android). all have glitchy web experience with all browsers. I also tried Chrome OS which is very smooth on that PC but for some reason it won't play any video online or local except YouTube. Since Chrome OS is Linux based, I have hope that there exist a Linux distribution that would work smoothly on that PC.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Which Linux distribution supports old computer with an unsupported ATI legacy GPU

What are the specs of the machine you are using? Are you hooking to the internet wirelessly?

Lubuntu is a very light OS, Ubuntu a very heavy one. How much ram is in the machine? Did you install the restricted extras (assuming you are where you can legally do that)?

Beans

Re: Which Linux distribution supports old computer with an unsupported ATI legacy GPU

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    What are the specs of the machine you are using? Are you hooking to the internet wirelessly?

Lubuntu is a very light OS, Ubuntu a very heavy one. How much ram is in the machine? Did you install the restricted extras (assuming you are where you can legally do that)?
    RAM: 3 GB
    CPU: intel core 2 duo
    GPU: ati radeon hd 4350
    Internet Connection: ethernet

i tried lubuntu, it has the same problem...the problem isn't a heavy OS, it's something that has to do with GPU rendering, my PC works fine on windows and chrome OS, so it should work well on linux in terms of specs.

what are the restricted extras?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by krio View Post
    what are the restricted extras?
    Have a look at this link it explains restricted extras under "Install some extra software".

https://sites.google.com/site/easyli.../first-lubuntu
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Moved to Ubuntu, Linux, & OS Chat

Beans

Just curious, how did you try Chrome os on that machine?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by robbie 348 View Post
    Just curious, how did you try Chrome os on that machine?
    This is what I tried.

https://www.howtogeek.com/217659/how...tem-on-any-pc/
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)