Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: password transfer mechanism

Beans

password transfer mechanism

Hi guys,

I installed 16.04 under a virtual machine in my work place. I also installed Google Chrome and logged on into my account. To my surprise, I see that in the Accessories->Passwords and Keys appeared all the passwords that I use in my other home systems on which I run Ubuntu. So I assume that is Chrome the one that is transferring all this info to this machine, or am I wrong? I want to locally delete all this information in the office machine without removing those from my home machine just in case this deletion occurs globally.

Please educate me.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Re: password transfer mechanism

If you do not want your web passwords and history appear on the virtual machine on your work PC, don't have it automatically log into Google. For example if I view something on YouTube, with my Android phone, Google Chrome on my PC will know it and vice versa. Not sure how to deactivate that, but it is similar to if you configure Firefox to sync with all devices (which I have not done).

I lost my job Nov 2015 due to downsizing and am making as much, if not more, investing my retirement money, so that does not affect me.
    Last edited by efflandt; October 27th, 2017 at 08:51 PM.
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers

Beans

What is interesting to me, is that if chrome is the mechanism by which passwords are transferred between systems, how is possible that it writes in my home folders without requesting any permission?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

If "you" are running Chrome, what makes you think it cannot cache things to your home directory? I doubt that it should cache passwords or cookies other than web related.
    Last edited by efflandt; October 27th, 2017 at 09:47 PM.
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Is your interest here in finding a way to keep those at your employer from snooping?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word "Permissions" since it is mostly associated with the idea of physical writing/reading of a file, but imagine the following scenario: I go to an internet cafe and I open chrome to send/receive an email. So under that situation, chrome will be transferring my personal stuff to the machine at the cafe without consulting me?

Beans

yes, I don't want anybody snooping at my stuff.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Have you asked your employer how you should handle this?

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans

I don't quite understand your question, I don't want to communicate any of this at the office. I just want to keep my personal stuff away from the office. I assume that if I go to chrome settings and delete the history, cookies, passwords, etc, the accesories->passwords and keys will remain in this machine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The question is this: have you spoken with anyone at work about how to secure your VM?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast