Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not the end of Unity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Not the end of Unity

The current 17.04 version of ubuntu-desktop uses unity7 DE on Gnome (Gtk 3.22.11-0ubuntu2). Mark did not say Unity7 was dead so it will still be unity7 for development. Since their seems to be some confusion on this I had sent an e-mail requesting a clarification on this matter as it concerns development. When I hear of news I'll get back.

Regards..

Code:
    ventrical@ventrical-System-Product-Name:~$ inxi -Fxz
    System:    Host: ventrical-System-Product-Name Kernel: 4.10.0-15-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.0)
               Desktop: Gnome  (Gtk 3.22.11-0ubuntu2)
               Distro: Ubuntu Zesty Zapus (development branch)
    Machine:   Device: desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P5B-E v: Rev 1.xx
               BIOS: American Megatrends v: 1807 date: 04/15/2009
    CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E8400 (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
               flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 11980
               clock speeds: max: 2995 MHz 1: 2995 MHz 2: 2995 MHz
    Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GF119 [GeForce GT 610] bus-ID: 01:00.0
               Display Server: X.Org 1.19.3 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: modesetting,
    Last edited by ventrical; April 6th, 2017 at 06:47 PM. Reason: sp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Not the end of Unity

according to this statement it is "Community Manager Michael Hall confirmed to Ars that the Ubuntu phone and tablet project is over.

"Work on the phone and tablet is also ending, the whole convergence story, really," Hall said. "The desktop will continue, but like it was in the pre-Unity days where we took what upstream [developers] designed and developed."

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by terry_gardener View Post
    according to this statement it is "Community Manager Michael Hall confirmed to Ars that the Ubuntu phone and tablet project is over.

"Work on the phone and tablet is also ending, the whole convergence story, really," Hall said. "The desktop will continue, but like it was in the pre-Unity days where we took what upstream [developers] designed and developed."
    Yes . ."the desktop will continue". Unity8 .. kaput but ubuntu-desktop (unity7) will run on gnome.. unless I am missing something here. I hope to hear from other sources soon. Perhaps after the current 16.04 EOL they might phase out unity7 but I highly think it is unlikely that we will have gnome3 as default for 18.04 but I am not 100% sure because the statements are not 100% clear, ie; (there will be no unity7 DE in 18.04) Until I see that specifically, I cannot believe otherwise.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Question Re: Not the end of Unity

From what I read is that Gnome will replace Unity on 18.04 version ... yes they said the phones etc are dead.

Is it a good idea or not to jump the gun and install Gnome 3 now ( is it another desktop environment?)

Being a new user to Ubuntu I just am not sure what to do. I know wait and see but?

If I install Gnome 3 will it work beside Unity at the login?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/GetUbuntuGNOME
    Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
    Cinnamon 3.6.2
    Accidental Linux user and loving it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by notso23 View Post
    Is it a good idea or not to jump the gun and install Gnome 3 now
    And why would you do that
    Ubuntu 16.04 (with Unity 7) will be supported until 2021.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Cool Re: Not the end of Unity

This is the post that I read. I know that like the press, not all you read is true so I am not getting excited, just asking questions. Yes I like Ubuntu just the way it is.
    https://itsfoss.com/ubuntu-unity-shutdown/

This is near the bottom of the post.

What will happen to Unity users? Will they have to migrate to GNOME starting Ubuntu 17.10 or 18.04?
    Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
    Cinnamon 3.6.2
    Accidental Linux user and loving it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Ubuntu 16.04 will be supported until April 2021
    https://www.ubuntu.com/info/release-end-of-life

Beans
    Distro

I actually went ahead and updated my 17.04 installs /intel/nvidia/ graphics and unity8 *desktop* is now restored. The phone is gone but the desktop remains. Most of the xapps like firefox, gnome-disks, gnome-system-monitor, disk-usage-analyzer, nautilus are all working again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I actually went ahead and updated my 17.04 installs /intel/nvidia/ graphics and unity8 *desktop* is now restored. The phone is gone but the desktop remains. Most of the xapps like firefox, gnome-disks, gnome-system-monitor, disk-usage-analyzer, nautilus are all working again.
    Yeah, the fix to qtmir happened & was released..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    ubuntu-desktop (unity7) will run on gnome.. unless I am missing something here. I hope to hear from other sources soon. Perhaps after the current 16.04 EOL they might phase out unity7 but I highly think it is unlikely that we will have gnome3 as default for 18.04 but I am not 100% sure because the statements are not 100% clear, ie; (there will be no unity7 DE in 18.04) Until I see that specifically, I cannot believe otherwise.
    I disagree. I expect Ubuntu to move to Gnome/Wayland for 17.10/18.04. Unity would not run unless they ported Compiz to be a Wayland compositor. That is the kind of labor-intensive reinvention of the wheel they're trying to get away from.

Mark did not say Unity7 was dead so it will still be unity7 for development.
    I don't see any commitment from Canonical to develop Unity7 further, other than security updates and possibly some bug fixes until 16.04 is EOL.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast