Thread: Installing Wine on 15.10 - broken package/dependency errors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Installing Wine on 15.10 - broken package/dependency errors

I have a fresh install of Ubuntu 15.10. I am trying to install Wine, and have so far tried 3 methods:

1)
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install wine
    2) The ubuntu-wine repository
    3) The official Wine HQ repository

I have tried suggestions here, here, and here to no avail. I have added the i386 architecture via
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
    and have verified that all of my software sources are for wily. I currently have only the Wine HQ ppa (I removed the Ubuntu-wine ppa) and am trying to install from there.

Command:
    Code:
     sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-devel
    Result: https://paste.ubuntu.com/24228453/

Command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --install-recommends wine-devel
    Result: https://paste.ubuntu.com/24228457/

I am able to install wine-devel-amd64. However, the i386 version creates errors:

Command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --install-recommends wine-devel-i386
    Result: https://paste.ubuntu.com/24228465/

And lastly, I tried using aptitude rather than apt-get as suggested in the first thread linked above:

Code:
    sudo aptitude install wine-devel-i386
    Result: https://paste.ubuntu.com/24228469/

Please help. Thanks!

(Sorry for all the pastebins, it's the only way I could get the thread to post without error.)
    int main() {
    User chellrose;
    chellrose.insert_clever_signature();
    return 0;}

Beans

Re: Installing Wine on 15.10 - broken package/dependency errors

Thread moved to the "Wine" forum for a better fit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Ubuntu 15.10 is no longer supported and the update servers are shut down. Consider upgrading to Ubuntu 16.04.1 as it will be supported until 2021

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr
    Thanks. Unfortunately, I have to have fglrx/amdcccle in order to make my graphics card and TV play nicely together. (The open-source driver doesn't work for my particular setup.) So unfortunately, upgrading isn't an option for me.

Updated information: after doing some more reading, I tried installing wine via synaptic package manager.

If I choose to install ordinary "wine", Synaptic just tells me the package is broken.

However, if I mark "wine-hq-devel" for installation, it gives me a warning about removing packages. Synaptic says that in order to install wine-hq-devel, it needs to remove (among others) fglrx-core and amdcccle. I need these packages for my graphics card/TV setup, so having them removed isn't an option.

I don't have to have the latest development version of Wine; I would be content with whatever version is in the wily repositories. However,
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install wine
    has similar dependency problems to those I listed above.
    Last edited by vasa1; March 22nd, 2017 at 03:44 PM. Reason: merged posts
    int main() {
    User chellrose;
    return 0;}

Beans

I'm not sure if purging all that you have done with regards wine and changing your repository souces to point to "old-releases" would then allow you to install the wine1.6 package that came with 15.10 or not.

An alternative might be to install 14.04.5 which is supported till 2019 and will be able make use of the fglrx ect packages.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

How do I make the repository sources point to old-releases? I tried
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository old-releases.ubuntu.com
    and it said it was invalid.
    int main() {
    User chellrose;
    return 0;}

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chellrose View Post
    How do I make the repository sources point to old-releases?
    Sorry, I think I'd recant the suggestion of using old-releases back. I don't see any mention of wily at http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/.

What does..

Code:
    sudo apt-get install wine1.6
    give you ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That gives me

Code:
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     wine1.6 : Depends: wine1.6-i386 (= 1:1.6.2-0ubuntu10)
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    and
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install wine 1.6-i386
    gives

Code:
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     wine1.6-i386:i386 : Depends: libasound2:i386 (>= 1.0.16)
                         Depends: libc6:i386 (>= 2.17) but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: libglib2.0-0:i386 (>= 2.12.0) but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: libglu1-mesa:i386 but it is not going to be installed or
                                  libglu1:i386
                         Depends: libgphoto2-6:i386 (>= 2.5.2) but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: libgphoto2-port12:i386 (>= 2.5.6) but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0:i386 (>= 0.10.22) but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: libgstreamer0.10-0:i386 (>= 0.10.26) but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: liblcms2-2:i386 (>= 2.2+git20110628) but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: libldap-2.4-2:i386 (>= 2.4.7) but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: libmpg123-0:i386 (>= 1.13.7) but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: libopenal1:i386 (>= 1.14) but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: libx11-6:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: libxext6:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: libxml2:i386 (>= 2.9.0) but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: ocl-icd-libopencl1:i386 but it is not going to be installed or
                                  libopencl1:i386
                         Depends: ocl-icd-libopencl1:i386 (>= 1.0) but it is not going to be installed or
                                  libopencl-1.1-1:i386
                         Depends: zlib1g:i386 (>= 1:1.1.4) but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: libncurses5:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: libasound2-plugins:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: libcapi20-3:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: libcups2:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: libdbus-1-3:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: libfontconfig1:i386 but it is not going to be installed or
                                     libfontconfig:i386
                         Recommends: libfreetype6:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: libgif4:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: libgnutls-deb0-28:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: libjpeg8:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: libosmesa6:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: libp11-kit-gnome-keyring:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: libpng12-0:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: libpulse0:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: libsane:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: libtiff5:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: libv4l-0:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: libxcomposite1:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: libxcursor1:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: libxi6:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: libxinerama1:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: libxrandr2:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: libxrender1:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: libxslt1.1:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: libxt6:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: libxxf86vm1:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: p11-kit-modules:i386 but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    Edit: I've reinstalled 14.04 and have Wine and fglrx working. Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by chellrose; March 22nd, 2017 at 10:00 PM. Reason: reverted to Old Trusty
    int main() {
    User chellrose;
    return 0;}