Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Not Linux

Beans

Re: Why Not Linux

Hopefully so.

Now if I could just go into a store without having to Google what might and might not work first from blue tooth keyboards to printers, then we would be almost halfway there.

For what it's worth, I use Linux for everything with work and play, and cannot stand Windows and Mac. But I could never recommend Linux to a non tech savvy person.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@Sableyes

As much as I don't like to admit it, I'd probably share your feelings. Linux would be good for a non-techie until something breaks, and then there would be problems.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sableyes View Post
    Because Linux still does not 'just work'.

Bluetooth Audio's relentless regression since 14.10 in Ubuntu is a good example of that.
    Linux works perfectly for everything that I do now.

As for bluetooth don't use it but I know others who do and use Linux and have no problems.
    Last edited by poorguy; November 5th, 2016 at 09:36 PM.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    Linux would be good for a non-techie until something breaks, and then there would be problems.
    Well, the same can be said of Mac OS. As I know from experience fixing it when something broke.

Not sure what your point is.
    Xubuntu 22.04, ArchLinux ♦ System76 hardware, virt-manager/KVM, VirtualBox
    If your questions are resolved to your satisfaction, please use Thread Tools > "Mark this thread as solved..."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    Linux works perfectly for everything that I do now.

As for bluetooth don't use it but I know others who do and use Linux and have no problems.
    *Works for me* Sigh.

Does not help when it does not work for a heck of a lot of other people. As linked to in a post on the last page, theres a possible fix for bluetooth audio after 2-3 years of issues. Not acceptable for your average human who uses bluetooth headphones, Beats speakers and actual modern gadgets.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by halogen2 View Post
    Well, the same can be said of Mac OS. As I know from experience fixing it when something broke.

Not sure what your point is.
    Apple broken? In the UK, take it to the Apple Store, or even PC World. Often wherever you bought it from.

Your Linux install you put over the shop bought hardware is broken? Take it too....?

Beans

Your Linux install you put over the shop bought hardware is broken? Take it too....?
    I never had a Linux computer break until I broke it trying to unbreak something I broke previously before I totally broke it.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

A credit to Linux, I had a hard drive I updated between releases from 12.04 -16.04 and it never broke once. Incredible when you remember what upgrade day used to be like.

That said, every update the missus has ever attempted has had 'an' issue, and when I lost the AMD drivers on the 16.04 update, it made my old laptop almost unusable. Less a break, more a driver removal. Would your average non computer user know that was what the issue was? Would the lose patience waiting 6 months in the hope the next release driver was back or just go back to Windows? If it wasn't for my belief in Linux, I would have been tempted...

Beans

A credit to Linux, I had a hard drive I updated between releases from 12.04 -16.04 and it never broke once. Incredible when you remember what upgrade day used to be like.

That said, every update the missus has ever attempted has had 'an' issue, and when I lost the AMD drivers on the 16.04 update, it made my old laptop almost unusable. Less a break, more a driver removal. Would your average non computer user know that was what the issue was? Would the lose patience waiting 6 months in the hope the next release driver was back or just go back to Windows? If it wasn't for my belief in Linux, I would have been tempted...
    Linux users I know go to the Linux forums when they have problems and try to find solutions.

Windows users I know go to the Windows forums when they have problems and try to find solutions.

In either case someone else has also or is also having the same problem and a solution may already exist.
    Last edited by poorguy; November 5th, 2016 at 11:01 PM.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Your Linux install you put over the shop bought hardware is broken? Take it too....
    ...here.

* oops, posted at the same time as poorguy.
    Last edited by halogen2; November 5th, 2016 at 11:11 PM.
    Xubuntu 22.04, ArchLinux ♦ System76 hardware, virt-manager/KVM, VirtualBox
    If your questions are resolved to your satisfaction, please use Thread Tools > "Mark this thread as solved..."

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast