Thread: Ubuntu 16.04 Nvidia 361.42 black screen + cannot remove /var/lib/dpkg/lock: Read-only

Beans

Exclamation Ubuntu 16.04 Nvidia 361.42 black screen + cannot remove /var/lib/dpkg/lock: Read-only

Hi,

there are some Q&A about this in the internet, but I haven't been able to solve the problem so far, maybe cause I'm new to Linux.

I had problems with update / upgrade which always got stuck on the same line:

Yesterday after switching my lap on I got a login page and then black screen with cursor.
    I tried different solutions, but nothing worked. I have a Win10/Ubuntu dual boot, so I switched to Ubuntu advanced options and chose 'root - root to shell prompt' and tried some commands. Every time I get the same problem:

Code:
    sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock
    didn't work, I got:
    Code:
    cannot remove /var/lib/dpkg/lock: Read-only file
    Please help - I can't work without Ubuntu and I have many files there :/

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 Nvidia 361.42 black screen + cannot remove /var/lib/dpkg/lock: Read-

Quote Originally Posted by agnik View Post
    Code:
    cannot remove /var/lib/dpkg/lock: Read-only file
    Once in the recovery shell try..

Code:
    sudo mount -o remount,rw /
    Then try your commands again.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 Nvidia 361.42 black screen + cannot remove /var/lib/dpkg/lock: Read-

Please also try..
    Code:
    sudo rm -rf /var/lib/dpkg/lock
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    thanks.
    Craving anchovy, herring and squid pizza.....with clam sauce

Beans

Omg thank you very much, after running commands you suggested my Ubuntu is alive again )))) Yeah!!!! I'm writing from Ubuntu now )
    But I don't know what do to next. I mean I don't want to get into such problem again. What to do with Nvidia? I'm afraid of update and upgrade now.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi, it should be ok now to run the commands, just do not do it with a root prompt #root
    Bring up a regular terminal with keypress "ctrl/alt/t" then do..
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get autoremove
     sudo apt-get autoclean
    Thanks.
    Craving anchovy, herring and squid pizza.....with clam sauce