Thread: scaling MySQL

Beans

scaling MySQL

I run a bunch of web sites from one database, so I was can MySQL scale up with hundreds, thousands or even millions of articles before i should up a new server or 3

How about a swarm of databases?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: scaling MySQL

This Forum runs on vBulletin and mysql the database runs at about 70Gib, which equals 2,137,403 threads or 12,918,029 posts plus various attachments and avatars.

Beans

I assume this forum lives on a SSD, hate to see how thrashed a hard disk would be.

I was more interested in larger databases, say a NSA file on every person on the planet etc?

Perhaps a database of genomes?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    I assume this forum lives on a SSD, hate to see how thrashed a hard disk would be.

I was more interested in larger databases, say a NSA file on every person on the planet etc?

Perhaps a database of genomes?
    If the Forums ran on a single ssd, we would be down more often then not. I haven't checked what hardware we are running now, but it has been updated from the pair of 8 core opterons with 300+GiB ram and multiple hard drives we upgraded to in 2011.

Beans

That much RAM should make for an excellent cache for the web server in addition to the database.

Is the standard LAMP stack able to use available resources as needed or should I consider some settings for higher workloads?

My own virtual machine runs on a dual socket E5 box, but that should not matter that much with a fist full of web sites