Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Memory and Swap Memory showing different totals

Beans

Re: Memory and Swap Memory showing different totals

Thanks ajgreeny and Temujin.

I will look into this further. If it is the 32-bit CPU issue, any idea why the swap sees 4.6gb and the memory only sees the 2.7gb? I would think if it was the CPU issue, swap wouldn't see it either.

Beans

Swap space is a separate partition of the hard drive and can be any size, memory refers to the actual ram. I don't know about this being a 32 bit issue, my laptop has 4 gb of ram - I have both 64 bit Linux Mint and 32 bit Windows 10 installed and they both see the same amount of memory (4gb).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mansonfan78 View Post
    I don't know about this being a 32 bit issue, my laptop has 4 gb of ram - I have both 64 bit Linux Mint and 32 bit Windows 10 installed and they both see the same amount of memory (4gb).
    Yes, it's still very much a 32-bit issue. In your case, Windows 10 supports PAE (Windows 8 and up will not run on CPU's without it), and if your laptop is fairly recent, then your CPU and BIOS probably support PAE and memory remapping, which allows Windows 10 to address the full 4GB since the PCI hole will be moved above 4GB. The OP's mobo/BIOS does not support remapping the PCI hole above 4GB.
    Last edited by Yellow Pasque; January 22nd, 2016 at 10:27 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123