Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using an older piece of software as well as all older necessary dependancies?

Beans

Using an older piece of software as well as all older necessary dependancies?

I decided to update to 15.10 from 14.04 thinking that an absolutely essential piece of software that I use, would be compatible, but it turns out the last release it supports is 14.10. I've had a go at installing the deb, but to no avail as the dependancies it needs are older than the ones installed. Is there some way to sandbox the an environment where this might work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Using an older piece of software as well as all older necessary dependancies?

What software are you trying to run?

Beans

Re: Using an older piece of software as well as all older necessary dependancies?

qcma, but there are other situations where a workaround for these types of situations would be useful - I LOVE Courage The Cowardly Dog.

Beans
    Distro

So have you tried to manually install the dependencies from the links at the qcma github page?

https://codestation.github.io/qcma/

Also Courage is awesome, hehe.
    Here is another avatar I made that you might like. I drew this one with Illustrator when I was running Windows. It's a little large but pics look better when you make them large then resize them.

http://americanacolyte.site50.net/dexterLg.png
    Last edited by cariboo; December 31st, 2015 at 04:54 PM. Reason: removed img tag

Beans

You have to manually install the dependencies in your $HOME, then when build qcma set the environmental variables to point to the local dependencies instead of the system ones. Depending on how many such dependencies you have it can be relatively easy or intractable (dependencies depending on other dependencies which also have to be installed locally) I have compiled programs which a are too new so some dependencies have to be compiled locally.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by brian-mccumber View Post
    So have you tried to manually install the dependencies from the links at the qcma github page?

https://codestation.github.io/qcma/

Also Courage is awesome, hehe.
    Here is another avatar I made that you might like. I drew this one with Illustrator when I was running Windows. It's a little large but pics look better when you make them large then resize them.

Really awesome. Yeah, the dependancies that it needs are already installed, albeit newer than it wants.

Beans

I was afraid that it may be a little beyond me. Is there a noob guide to achieving this?

Cheers!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dexter8 View Post
    I was afraid that it may be a little beyond me. Is there a noob guide to achieving this?

Cheers!
    Hard to say, it depends on the build recipe for the software and the dependencies. You have to give more info.

Beans
    Distro

I have traced the dependencies from the other dependencies for qcma and it would be quite a complicated procedure to get this installed manually because the qcma dependencies have dependencies so there is a long line of stuff you'd have to install to get this working right.

I found this - https://dogfood.paddev.net/~codestat...ve/ubuntu/qcma it is untrusted but if you're into experimentation you could remove qcma, add this repository and then try to install qcma again. It looks like this ppa includes the vitamtp package which is probably the package that is causing you the problem since qt and ffmpeg can be installed through the software center. I think ffmpeg is included in the Ubuntu restricted extras.

Beans
    Distro

You can always go to the qcma github page and follow those links and read everything carefully especially the parts about dependencies and then search those up to see how to install them and work your way up the tree. It would be a long process but it has been done successfully before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast