Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox vs Chrome vs Chromium vs Opera vs Slimboat vs Slimjet vs ...

Beans

Firefox vs Chrome vs Chromium vs Opera vs Slimboat vs Slimjet vs ...

I keep trying different web browsers out, and each has its own psrticular features and aspects that mark it "Best Suited For ...", to which you fill in the blanks. For instance, If you want to run two browsers at once, thesr pairings ore pretty good.

Firefox & Opera
    Chrome & Chromium
    Slimboat & Slimjet

And the hands-down winner is:

Slimjet by itself.

Slimjet has the unique ability to let you open either a second instance of itself, which shares the same user aspects, or open an Incognito window, which creates a new user aspect. Now you can't save the user settings that go with the Icognito window, so you have to do these over each time you open it up, but this really only effects stored usernames, passwords, and the like. Everything else, like opened tabs, files downloaded, and doing copy-and-paste between the original, which would be the parent, and the Incognito window, which would be the child.

Slimjet is the replacement to Slimboat. which used an outdated central core, but comes from the same people. It has a nice online feedback system that I've used a number of times to let them know there is still a bit of further work needed, and they have responded a number of times. It is very customizable, and both Slimboat and Slimjet are noteworthy because they are fast, and can support a good many tabs being opened at the same time. Actually, Chrome and Chromium support a good number of tabs being opened at once, but they are generally slower. Still, I have situations where Chrome and Chromium are the pair I need, and I use them at those times.

Why open up more than a few tabs at once? I have my reasons, and you may find some as well. For instance, I get Amazon or Walmart or some other site to show a fill list of possible replacement laptops (I;m using an L355 with a Celeron cpu and only 4GB of RAM, so need a replacement), And I can pick out the ones that interest me, open each in a new tab, and just go on to the next one. I have sometimes a dozen or so open tabs when I get through the list, and with the right browser, I CAN SAVE THEM ALL AS BOOKMARKS into a new (or existing) folder.

Then I can bring them all up individually in the future (or BRING THEM ALL BACK AS SEPARATE TABS with one effort) and explore each one for the fine details that might make one laptop stand out over the others. For comparison, I enter these details into a spreadsheet where I can sort through
    and arrange them in any order. This will probably be my last major computer buy (I'm 74), and I want to get it right. Heck, my wife wants me to get it right.

During this comparative process, I've come to realize more and more features of laptops in general that I need to weigh in the balance. So I/ve added more and more columns to my spreadsheet over time, and more and more rows as I unearth new offerings. As to the old offerings, being able to bring up all the bookmarks in a group at a time, I can quickly find any that have expired, or marked with out of stock or sold. I cave a header cell on one column that I update daily with the current date, and use that coumn to validate when last checked for the laptops currently listed. It's a lot of work, but I'm learning a lot about laptop choices at the same time.

Now the Ubuntu Software Center (USC) warns you about installing things like Opera, Chrome, Chromium, Slimboat, and Slimjet, that it does not recognize them in some cases as being a part of official channels offerings. So you have to search for them online by hame. probably with the added word of 'download', and then try to get the Ubuntu or Debian (ends with '.deb') version that will be either 64- or 32-bit sized. The sizing goes with the scale of the operating system you have installed, not necessarily the size of the hardware underneath.

Sometimes what you get is just a Linux version, or it comes in a compressed file form (there will be a 'z' in the extension). If it is a '.deb' file, it will open under USC when yiu double click on it. If a compressed file, it will upen unser the Archive Manager or the uncompress/extract program of your choice. The file will download in the Downloads folder unless you changed the browser default setting for this.

Slimboat and Slimjet also give you a warning from USC that a mouse is required. Laptop users will see this warning because apparently a touchpad is not considered a mouse by USC. But don't worry. The touchpad will do the trick. In fact, for some tasks, the touchpad is superior to any mouse. If you want to adjust the size of the window by moving it borders, the touchpad gives you much more precise pixel location to make that work. What a touchpad lacks is a third button or a scroll wheel. Neither is essential with a browser.

Beans

Re: Firefox vs Chrome vs Chromium vs Opera vs Slimboat vs Slimjet vs ...

I would choose Firefox before any of those.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

So would I
    "That's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!"
    All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't know. I use chrome and firefox only. My chrome is the updated one but keeps having shockwave flash crashing, really annoying. I have maxthon but don't use it and today I installed opera. I'm thinking I may need to look into using different ones and see how that goes.
    Don't touch the Linux hat!
    Linux user #572109

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I use firefox, but on occasion I need chromium.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Man View Post
    I use firefox, but on occasion I need chromium.
    Lately I been playing with chromium and adding pepper flash to it. I think this is the same as having chrome, just lets me use the repositories.

Beans

uBlock Origin, BluHell Firewall, NoScript; these are all great addons available in Firefox.

Plus, it is way more customizable than any Chromium-based browsers.

Since we can now use pepperflash in Firefox with the Fresh Player Plugin, the outdated adobe plugin is no longer an issue for me.

So, Firefox hands down.
    Last edited by night_sky2; June 18th, 2015 at 06:24 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by night_sky2 View Post
    uBlock Origin, BluHell Firewall, NoScript; these are all great addons available in Firefox.

Plus, it is way more customizable than any Chromium-based browsers.

Since we can now use pepperflash in Firefox with the Fresh Player Plugin, the outdated adobe plugin is no longer an issue for me.

So, Firefox hands down for me.
    Oh yeah? The adobe is no longer an issue? I think I'll have to switch to only using Firefox...........
    Linux user #572109

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pretty_whistle View Post
    Oh yeah? The adobe is no longer an issue? I think I'll have to switch to only using Firefox...........
    http://www.webupd8.org/2014/05/insta...in-ubuntu.html

Fresh Player Plugin + pepperflash-nonfree package works great for me.

I've no need of the older 11.2 adobe plugin anymore.

Cheers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by night_sky2 View Post
    http://www.webupd8.org/2014/05/insta...in-ubuntu.html

Fresh Player Plugin + pepperflash-nonfree package works great for me.

I've no need of the older 11.2 adobe plugin anymore.

Cheers.
    Thanks.
    Linux user #572109

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast