Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 14.04 booting slow; hangs on mounting partition

Beans

Re: 14.04 booting slow; hangs on mounting partition

I don't think it has made a difference. Swap is now not mounted, but the gap still remains. sda8 (as far as I understand) has not been remounted though.

Dmesg output:

Code:
    [    3.901315] EXT4-fs (sda8): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
    [   24.321866] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready

Beans

Reenable swap then by removing the # in its line. I am afraid I don't know how to troubleshoot you farther than that so you should wait for someone else to come and assist.

Beans

Thanks for the help anyway.

Perhaps somebody can tell what's going on by looking at the bootchart report?

Here it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

The picture is way too small to read. If bootcharts output is actually text and you took a screenshot I suggest you copy the text and paste it at pastebin and linking to it.

Beans

No, this is the actual output from /var/log/bootchart.

It generates a report in a png file for every bootsequence you make. You can download the png file and zoom in so that it's readable. Bootchart does not generate text.

Beans

I ran bootchart my self. I got a 800x5560 pixels image of 442.1 kbytes. What you have attached is a 212x768 pixels jpg of 14.8 kbytes. It not the original file that chartboot did output and more importantly if you zoom in its blurry.

So incase bootchart could be useful I suggest you repost it.

Beans

The problem is something else I think, because the file I'm uploading is 672 kb, but once it's finished only 14kb remain. Is there perhaps a maximum filesize for uploads in a thread?

I've uploaded the file to imageshack, here is the link:
    http://imageshack.com/a/img673/4156/Z8xnP0.png

Looks a lot better now
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by maartenpelgrim; May 29th, 2015 at 02:00 PM.

Beans

Well I am not really familiar with bootchart nor ureadahead (which apparently requires bootchart).

After I installed bootchart and restarted I got a chart which didn't have ureadahead appear in the boot process. The second time I rebooted It appeared.
    Now from what I 've read in ubuntu's wiki ureadahead is a process that start early in the boot sequence and loads stuff from the disk that will be needed later. Presumably because otherwise the system is not loading anything from the disk for a time, while doing cpu stuff and then it has to load stuff which is limited by the hard drive read speed.

Now in your chart from ~5sec to ~24sec ureadahead is running. For most of that time your system is reading from the disk at above half the maximum (demonstrated) read speed. In that time almost no other process is launched.

Unfortunately as I said I am not familiar with bootchart so I don't know if this is normal behaviour. I have an ssd and ureadahead reads almost everything in the first 2 seconds and then other processes launch before it finishes (but disk throughput is almost 0). You also have much longer fsck runtime at 5secs. Is that just a difference in read speed (though I have a hdd for home which presumably would be checked)? Is there a problem with your disk? Maybe the bootchart is the first after you re-enabled fsck on the disk and it decided to do a more through test?

But the main point is what is the problem? Your computer boots in 1min 17 secs, obviously not nice but is there an actual solvable problem?

Did it boot faster when you installed ubuntu? Is ureadahead actually slowing down your computer? The very first bootchart (wich doesn't have ureadahead) should answer that.

Did it boot faster when you had windows? That would be interesting and indicate a problem.

Finally when you installed bootchart you presumably followed some instructions, can you remember where you found them? So that we know exactly what you did.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I see from the output, that you have both systemd and upstart installed. Bootchart shouldn't work, if you use systemd to boot, so you must be using upstart. I'd suggest removing systemd using the following command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge systemd
    then reboot.

@sotiris2 bootchart is in the repositories, and all it takes to install it, is:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install bootchart
    the output should be in /var/log/bootchart.

To create something similar using systemd, use the following command:

Code:
    systemd-analyze plot > boot_plot.svg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12