Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do any of you still have a netbook?

Beans

Re: Do any of you still have a netbook?

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Sure why not? People are not going to throw out their working netbooks simply because there are more shiny toys around. In my case I acquire one due to accident. My friend asked me to set up Ubuntu for his spared netbook. It was working beautifully but I accidentally spilled some water on it and it no longer booted. Just my luck I found the exact model on criaglist, so I bought it and gave that to my friend (they are identical) but several days later the one that was presumed dead suddenly was working again, so now I have it.
    got lucky. lol

fyi: next time throw that sucker in a bag of rice quick. lol

Beans

i have 2 hp mini 110's both with mint 13 160gb hdd and 2 gb ram. both in daily use. also have an eee 1005 that needs a board that runs mint 13.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

HP Mini 1000 runs Xubuntu 14.04 32 bit quite nicely with only 1 GB. RAM. It has only one DIMM slot so I believe 2 GB. is the max installable. Very nice machine for simple uses - email, light office stuff etc. I tried installing Ubuntu-Mate 15.04. It worked okay live DVD but required 'nomodeset' appended. When I tried to install to the hard drive the installer screen was overscanning so the 'next' button on the bottom was invisible. So some graphics issues with Mate 15.04.

Beans

I have a medion E1317T 10" netbook with ram upgraded to 8gb and a 128gb SanDisk ssd.

Lightweight, comfy to sit on the sofa with, and fairly nippy with a 4-6 hour battery life.

Runs Ubuntu 14.04 nicely

I have no other PC's, just a tablet and a phone

Beans

I still have my HP mini -- those things last forever! I don't really use it much anymore though.

My "main" machine I do most of my work on is a very small Asus laptop, one of the 11-inch screen models. I really find that the perfect size for business use -- the netbook is tad too small, but an 11-12 inch screen cuts just the right fit between screen space and portability for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have a Gateway (1301?) running an AMD Athlon 64 chip and 2 GB of RAM.

It isn't a powerhouse, but previously I had Fedora w/LXDE running on it but just switched over to Ubuntu-mate and it woks very nicely on this machine. LXDE always seemed very limited and basic, while Mate seems like a full desktop environment without the bloat.

I use it because of its size and 2-3 hour battery which is better than my primary laptop which is 15" and lasts < 1hr! Most of the time a web browser suffices for most of what I want to do but it is handy to have local applications available when I need them (Gimp, screenshots, etc.)

I don't have a tablet and my chromebook screen is cracked.

The only thing I am afraid of is if when they move Mate from GTK2 to GTK3, if that produces a significant performance hit. If performance stays just as it is (or improves) then it works perfectly for my older machines and the newer Raspberry Pi's.
    Last edited by Dragonbite; May 5th, 2015 at 05:38 PM. Reason: The only thing I have to fear, is fear itself!
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

I have an Asus eeepc 701 (4G) with 2GB or ram.
    For a long time it was my favourite portable computer and I still think it's neat, but have gone for more power.
    I was last using it for a car computer with a USB GPS Dongle and Foxtrot GPS in it.
    It has Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal in it, with the / in the internal 4GB SSD and /boot and /home in a 16GB SD card.
    Since a while ago now QGIS has had its own GPS plugin I don't need a separate car computer. I can drive around with a larger more powerful laptop instead and do all the work at once.

Right now I'm dusting the eeepc off and thinking of using it for a low cost home security system. I watched a cool YouTube about it called 'How to use your webcam as a security camera with Ubuntu'. There are some cool threads here in the Ubuntu Web Forums and elsewhere on the internet about how to set up a Ubuntu computer with Motion for video surveilance too.
    I have ordered some cheap webcams from ebay. I will need to install a newer version of Ubuntu so I can get the repositories and install 'Motion'. Probably the eeepc won't actually need to do anything, but it can be there watching 'just in case'. I think the netbook is an ideal choice for that kind of job since it won't consume very much electricity.
    Ubuntu user since 2004 (Warty Warthog)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yes, I have. It's smaller than laptop and thus easier to carry around when on trip. I've never understood the real point of tablets, so most likely I'll have a netbook as long as I can hold one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I have one too, but I do not use it much.

Beans

Actually, from a search on Newegg it appears most of the large computer manufacturers are still making netbooks. I searched for laptops with an 11.6 inch screen or smaller and there were 36 entries (three of them were for the same HP computer and two for another HP, leaving 31 options). Prices range from $190 to $1725. I would not recommend the cheap netbooks with Atom or Celeron processors (or the AMD E1 or E2 series), most would be much happier with their new computer if they spent the extra $200-$300 for an i3 or equivalent. (i5's and i7's are available for a hefty premium over an i3 equipped netbook, they are faster but unless you are editing movie footage on them they aren't worth the extra cash).

I will reiterate my standard warning here, do not buy an HP with Windows 8 or 8.1 if you want to run Linux on it, the UEFI is set up to only boot Windows and the workaround to make it boot Grub is tedious and asinine. Anyone curious as to what I am talking about can look up Oldfred's account here on Ubuntu Forums for a link to the instructions. Dell and Lenovo computers are reported to be the easiest to run Linux on, even in a dual-boot environment.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast