Thread: cyber security, penetration testing, anti-forensic and evasion tools

Beans

cyber security, penetration testing, anti-forensic and evasion tools

Hello everyone, I have secured a 12 months internship with an IT security company as a software engineer. In preparation towards the placement I want to either dual-boot linux on my mac (either Ubuntu or Kali). How safe/reliable is such set-up? I'm probably going to opt-out for Ubuntu because apparently that is what the company uses for server and desktop side at their offices and I have been using this OS before.

Now, most importantly I would love you to help me find some learning resources in the area of cyber security something that will provide me with a solid foundation before I start working there.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: cyber security, penetration testing, anti-forensic and evasion tools

Welcome.

The forum rules don't let us take much about breaking into systems or the software used to test security, so asking about those tools here generally ends in a closed thread, as it should. We can discuss how to secure a system. See my signature for links.

Kali is highly non-secure. It isn't designed to be secure and running everything as root is a real issue. Don't use this as a desktop, please.

Ubuntu is more secure than OSX, IMHO. Ubuntu actually patches security issues provided you run a supported release while it is still under support. OSX ... tends to patch a few years late.

If you want to learn IT security - only governments use "cyber" - join those groups. DefCon, ISSA, SANS .... all have local groups. Your Defcon group in the USA/CA is normally found by searching for "dc"+areacode - mine is DC404 ... this works internationally too - London has DC4420. Fun group there. Search for irongeek to find recordings from different security conferences and other interesting stuff.

Beans

Re: cyber security, penetration testing, anti-forensic and evasion tools

Thank you for the reply, which was actually really useful, will definitely join the discussion regarding system vulnerability/security later on.

Also regarding the dual boot, I have a late macbook air 2011, is there any known issues, or danger of data corruption if I would be to install the latest LTS release of Ubuntu? Alternatively I could run this through VB, although would probably loose a lot in CPU efficiency etc.

All the best.
    Last edited by kaspar5; February 22nd, 2015 at 05:59 PM.