Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the coolest thing you do in Linux that you couldn't do in Windows?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: What's the coolest thing you do in Linux that you couldn't do in Windows?

Considering that the last version of Windows I used was 3.1, damn near everything!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Use it after installing a new motherboard. Windows is asking me to activate it again.

Beans

Don't get me started on pen drives. Lol. Well other than that. There's a certain freedom to Linux that other os'es lack. The freedom to use whatever programs you wish. if you want to use a different DE or WM. Go for it. Use Wayland? Why not. And also having a package manager makes things easy to update. On top of all this. I don't have to pay a damn cent. And I'm one stingy man. Lol

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by PaulInBHC View Post
    Use it after installing a new motherboard. Windows is asking me to activate it again.
    so what? you click activate and move on...
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    so what? you click activate and move on...
    Wouldn't that be nice.

I have the paid for upgrade from XP. No media. You must call MS and key in numbers to receive a new code number. Yeah it's not a big deal if it works but I shouldn't have to do it. My old code should work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulInBHC View Post
    Every time I attempt to move a Windows install to a different machine (moving the HDD), the boot fails with a BSOD. This is a retail version of Win7. So - MS has a solution for this that works (3) times only. sysprep. It is better than nothing, but wipes many important settings - like the last time it disabled NTP for some odd reason. For about a week, the system clock was off 6 hrs and I didn't know why because all the settings for NTP to my internal server were correct ... the service was disabled.

I cannot remember the number of times I've moved a HDD between machines with Linux and it just booted with my normal environment. Happy. Once moved from a pentium4 to a core i7 - worked fine.

Beans

1. Hot corner. Windows is too static.
    2. Font rendering. CJK font is much more beautiful on linux.
    I was impressive with these features on mac but I found linux is more natural.

Beans

Make full installls of several Linux distros on an external hd and boot off different machines. When I visit my folks in a different contentinent I just bring it and boot off my dad's laptop instead of bringing my own and sync it with mine when I come back

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I think the coolest thing is running live and installed systems from USB pendrives. Such portable systems work beautifully with Linux. There are Windows PE (preinstallation environment) systems, but they are very limited, and work only as rescue systems.
    A BIG +1..!

Couldn't agree more. The beauty of it is that I can take my favourite distros with me ANYWHERE there's a 'puter to plug into! I currently have 4 full installations on a bunch of 32 GB SanDisk Cruzer flashdrives I bought a coupla months ago; Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Puppy Linux 'Tahrpup' 6.0.....and Sabayon (which I'm sorta 'playing around' with at the mo...)!

Originally posted by pfeiffep:-
    Re-use older hardware to run up-to-date operating system software saving money and not filling the landfills.
    I'm pretty much the same; I have a passion for getting old 'tech' up-&-running again.....and keeping it that way!

Regards,

Mike.
    Last edited by Mike_Walsh; November 14th, 2014 at 01:17 AM.
    Compaq Presario SR1619UK, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'X-Slacko' & 'Slacko'
    Dell Inspiron 1100, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'TahrPup' & 'Precise'

IF
    the advice given has helped you, PLEASE have the courtesy to post back and say 'Thank you'..!

Beans

Work

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast