3 17.65%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: U+1 Team Discussion

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: U+1 Team

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I personally use mediawiki for personal projects, my personal feeling is that it is much easier to use, So far the main usage is for a database of all he DVDs I own.
    OMG! Birds_of_a_feather. That's hilarious!

I have an online MediaWiki site. Why?

1. I like to test Wiki software and CMSs, as well as Ubu +1. MediaWiki was my favorite.
    2. I wanted to practice Wikipedia markup on my site, rather than take a beating on their site.
    3. I needed a convenient place to store/serve my screenies, in these forums and elsewhere.
    4. It's fun and easy to use.

I was going to mention this last night, but didn't want to say I use MediaWiki mostly to serve pics. Overkill, eh what?

I'd use MediaWiki for my production site, but if you get a lot of traffic it'll slow to a crawl without Squid and Varnish.
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Using Moin Moin on the wiki.ubuntu.com servers is probably a lot more expedient and I finally figured a way to get some animations up there. Nothing fancy yet lol Just scroll down to Mir Testing

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/devel-tester-wiki

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Using Moin Moin on the wiki.ubuntu.com servers is probably a lot more expedient and I finally figured a way to get some animations up there. Nothing fancy yet lol Just scroll down to Mir Testing https://wiki.ubuntu.com/devel-tester-wiki
    I'm sure people that have slow connections and others will love those very informative animations. Even on a fast(er) connection and fast(er) machine they do seriosly slow down scroll of that page. What's missing is some music.
    Last edited by zika; October 16th, 2014 at 08:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    I'm sure people that have slow connections and others will love those very informative animations. Even on a fast(er) connection and fast(er) machine they do seriosly slow down scroll of that page. What's missing is some music.
    I am just trying some tests, experiments... to eventually lead into <more informative> slideshows , hopefully.

There is a way to make them work faster on slower connects .. as I say .. I'm just sandboxing a bit.

Thanks for your input and testing that. Much appreciated. Perhaps I can even make it optional. Yet another item to figure out. I tried every which way to imbed youtube tabs but havn't had much luck. I would like to put a few of those up on SystemD that are already existing.

Regards..

Edit.

Got rid of the offending .gifs methinks
    Last edited by ventrical; October 16th, 2014 at 09:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro

About MoinMoin: I'm not sure when Ubuntu adopted MoinMoin to it's wiki, or what was the rationale. MoinMoin relies on files instead of storing data in a DB. My *guess* is that it was harder or too expensive to scale a DB back in the beginnings of the Ubuntu project. Those were different (cloudless) times - scaling stuff was a problem. And now, with the huge legacy of MoinMoin pages, no one will step up to convert everything to some other wiki format, like MediaWiki. So, as any official team is expected to be on wiki.ubuntu.com/<TeamName>, we're stuck with MoinMoin for the time being, sorry guys :\

One can easily find many resources on Google about projects that migrated from MoinMoin to MediaWiki (like this). If you Google for it, you'll find that many people tried to create scripts to convert MoinMoin syntax to MediaWiki, which is in essence totally doable, of course (but I couldn't find something finished and very polished). Anyway, if we wanted to hack on that, we could have a MediaWiki hosted on the team domain and work on a script to automatically convert MediaWiki code to MoinMoin and update wiki.ubuntu.com/U+1. But would it be worth the effort? We'll probably find it easier to just put up with MoinMoin and use our limited time and resources on other issues...

BTW, I had some unfinished code getting dust in my old repo that I'm updating right now. It is supposed to automatically gather info from Launchpad (i.e. team members, team members bugs, etc) and, primarily, update the Team Bug Tracker NoSQL DB. I can probably make it spit some MoinMoin and automatically update stuff like the members_table wiki page. At least this won't be outdated then. I'll move this code from my private git repo to U+1 Team Code on Launchpad in a couple days - hopefully people will be interested in working on it, it's basic Python stuff.

Regards,
    Effenberg
    Last edited by effenberg0x0; October 16th, 2014 at 03:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro

@effenberg

MoinMoin is not all that bad. btw.. I have been experimenting with some animations with Moin Moin.

Check here if you have time https://wiki.ubuntu.com/devel-tester...al_Development

and tell me what you think and if you would like to have that at the original testers wiki. It's just a concept still in infant stages lol

Regards..

Beans
    Distro

@effenberg

MoinMoin is not all that bad. btw.. I have been experimenting with some animations with Moin Moin.
    Yeah, I mean, there are some differences from MediaWiki syntax, which is what most people are used to, but the syntax is not really the problem for me. As long as the thing render pages and allows us to edit them normally, it's fine. I was kind of worried with all the errors it was outputting when I tried to save edits yesterday, and the inability to login to edit. But it probably was some temporary instability or something.

Check here if you have time https://wiki.ubuntu.com/devel-tester...al_Development and tell me what you think and if you would like to have that at the original testers wiki. It's just a concept still in infant stages lol
    I had a look at your work, I like it. [Trololo]I have noticed that, as time passes by, I'm becoming more accepting of visual bling and less "hax0ry" stuff. I made the switch from Vim/Emacs to IDEs, from pure .txt to formatted stuff. And I even found myself watching YouTube programming courses on my TV regularly.[/Trololo] What I mean is that I now understand that people like visual stuff, why they do, and that they probably learn better from it than from text-only stuff. So I wouldn't oppose giving animations/videos/screencasts/etc a try.

Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by effenberg0x0 View Post
    Yeah, I mean, there are some differences from MediaWiki syntax, which is what most people are used to, but the syntax is not really the problem for me. As long as the thing render pages and allows us to edit them normally, it's fine. I was kind of worried with all the errors it was outputting when I tried to save edits yesterday, and the inability to login to edit. But it probably was some temporary instability or something.

I had a look at your work, I like it. [Trololo]I have noticed that, as time passes by, I'm becoming more accepting of visual bling and less "hax0ry" stuff. I made the switch from Vim/Emacs to IDEs, from pure .txt to formatted stuff. And I even found myself watching YouTube programming courses on my TV regularly.[/Trololo] What I mean is that I now understand that people like visual stuff, why they do, and that they probably learn better from it than from text-only stuff. So I wouldn't oppose giving animations/videos/screencasts/etc a try.

Regards,
    Effenberg

Thanks very much for your comments.

While I have your attention I need to ask if we (the U+1 team) are still status quo with this preamble: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/U+1/team-faq

Secondly, do you still plan to remain team leader?

I would greatly appreciate a definitive answer so as I could continue to proceed to add contents to the original wiki structure as fits within my schedule. (meaning that I have time set aside currently for U+1). That would mean that if the current status of U+1 will be the conventional wisdom from it's inception I can then continue to get along with contributing content. If there are changes to be made (or are being made) and there is idle time during this process then I may find myself called away to other work that would make concerted contributions more sporadic and less reliable on my part. I apologize for my impatience but I think the above are fair questions.

Regards..

My apologies for being way off topic here to the Polls
    Last edited by ventrical; October 16th, 2014 at 04:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by effenberg0x0 View Post

Regards,
    Effenberg

[Trololo] With me , it was filing contact points of game-mechs on electromechanical pinball machines in the early 70's and then there was Space Invaders and uicroprocessor controlled pinball machines. No VTs .. except for Space Invaders. Just loved the Edlin editor on Dos 1.25 on my Sanyo MBC550 with Wordstar lol [/Trololo]

Regards..
    Last edited by ventrical; October 16th, 2014 at 06:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro

While I have your attention I need to ask if we (the U+1 team) are still status quo with this preamble: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/U+1/team-faq
    *I* am, as I think the reasons for U+1 existence and the team goals, as defined there, still make sense. But if anyone comes to me with new ideas that improve the team and, maybe more importantly, help us organize, start producing results, grow and thrive, I'll be more than willing to compromise here and there. I founded the team but I can't play the "supreme dictator for life" role that many projects adopt. I'm uncomfortable with pushing my own ideas without the support of at least some interested members. And I'm much more attracted to hearing ideas from members and then helping then come true than the other way around. So, for example, If you think there's stuff there that is wrong, makes no sense, should be deleted or changed, and you can convince me that it will be better for the team, I'll change it.

Secondly, do you still plan to remain team leader?
    No, not on the long run. As I said above, I don't believe in the "SDFL" model. I'd like leadership to rotate amongst members, in a democratic way. Moreover: I sucked as a leader so far. You for example worked a lot more than me in the last 3 cycles, as I wasn't even here and thus you definitely deserve the role way more than me. Actually for me is not about members deserving roles: it is about the team deserving the best possible leader. So, I'm very happy (and actually proud) to have created U+1, great, but I'll be happier being a contributor of something that works for the great of Ubuntu than the leader of something that does not.

Therefore, I'm willing to pass the torch right now if someone really committed to the team volunteers (interested? ). I would only ask the new leader to work towards establishing a system to elect and rotate team leadership as soon as possible.

I would greatly appreciate a definitive answer so as I could continue to proceed to add contents to the original wiki structure as fits within my schedule. (meaning that I have time set aside currently for U+1). That would mean that if the current status of U+1 will be the conventional wisdom from it's inception I can then continue to get along with contributing content. If there are changes to be made (or are being made) and there is idle time during this process then I may find myself called away to other work that would make concerted contributions more sporadic and less reliable on my part. I apologize for my impatience but I think the above are fair questions.
    My real life work load became more acceptable now, and personal life is pretty much stable, which is why I'm dedicating time to U+1 now. I can probably spend 2 or 3 entire days/week on it on at least 3 weeks/month. As far as I can see into the future, I'm able to maintain that pace for at least one year more or less (and I am gonna invest that time in U+1 being the team leader or not).

As I said earlier in this thread, I'm trying to catch up with everything that has happened in the last cycles. A lot has changed in QA, testers, other teams, bugs, tools, Ubuntu itself. It's a lot of threads, mail archives, blogs and IRC logs to read and a lot of people to talk to. I need to do that in order to have more solid view on how I can add to the team, what I can suggest/do to help it establish itself, etc. I'll have a more solid view on all that soon. Right now the only thing I'm already working on (because it's something I always felt like it was very important for the team to work) is the team tracker code.

My apologies for being way off topic here to the Polls
    We're forum people, we like to discuss things in threads. Our people seem to hate mailing lists and only a small portion of members likes IRC. And our theme is broad. I think it's really important that we have a thread we can use to openly discuss the team stuff. I don't think it harms the forum in any way if we keep in a single thread. If no admin is against it, I'd ask for them to allow us to spam this thread freely with U+1 Team discussion, at least while we go through all the critical stuff we need to talk about. Maybe the thread title can be changed to U+1 Team Discussion or something like that. And that way we limit all our talk to this single thread and cause no trouble to others.

Regards,
    Effenberg

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast