Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wacom with Ubuntu: what is your experience?

Beans

Question Wacom with Ubuntu: what is your experience?

Greetings, this is one of my first posts, so if is something wrong with it, please let me know to correct it.
    Id like to work on design, recently i completely changed from windows to Lubuntu in a Lenovo 3000 N500, im really glad with the result, even if im still getting accustom to the change from corel and photoshop to Inkscape and Gimp.
    Now, i want to buy a Wacom tablet, but surfing through the web, and specially in the forum, i find that it could be troubly, i would like to read about the experience of people using it before to spend money. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Wacom with Ubuntu: what is your experience?

I have a Wacom tablet (Bamboo One) that I use with Gimp and it works well. Gimp 2.8 has trouble with tablets, but AFAIK this is a problem with the Windows version of the GTK library.
    Warning: unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

"Troubly"? I like that word, and welcome!

I bought a Wacom Bamboo (not at home at moment so can't relate the model); plug in, worked immediately. The drivers for most Wacom devices are alrealy in the Linux/Ubuntu kernel. They play nice ...

PS: I will qualify that with I use Xubuntu (xfce4 minimal install actually) but the drivers are there. Should work with lxde.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; September 29th, 2014 at 10:48 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I've been using my Intuos3 with Gimp, Inkscape & Blender for years now and it's always been a pleasant experience with Ubuntu. Especially these days when it's recognised automatically and some of the basic settings are available without even having to install any additional software or drivers for it...

(I also had a quick try with my friend's Intuos5 and that seemed to be working nice as well. S0 based on my experience Wacom tablets work nice these days, all the truly important stuff like pressure/tilt/rotation and the buttons on the pen itself work out-of-the-box these days, but you might need to install additional software to configure some of the extra buttons and controls on the Intuos series and to tweak pressure curves etc in finer detail. )

Beans

Thanks for your answer!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    "Troubly"? I like that word, and welcome!

I bought a Wacom Bamboo (not at home at moment so can't relate the model); plug in, worked immediately. The drivers for most Wacom devices are alrealy in the Linux/Ubuntu kernel. They play nice ...

PS: I will qualify that with I use Xubuntu (xfce4 minimal install actually) but the drivers are there. Should work with lxde.
    Yeah, as english is not my native anguage, usually i end creating new words... but that one doesnt sounds bad eh? haha... thanks for your answer! and if you remember the model of your wacom, please let me know!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by shuichi View Post
    ... if you remember the model of your wacom, please let me know!
    I'm actually 750kms away from it at the moment and don't remember the model, sorry. Think it's about three or four years old if that is any help.

Beans

Wacom has good Linux support, and Ubuntu is no exception. If you buy a late model you might have to install a newer driver or upgrade to the latest distribution. For example my particular tablet needed a newer driver under 13.10 but worked out of the box on 14.04 LTS.

Beans

Well just plugin on usb and used it.. Perfectly worked.. same as the xbox 360 controler =)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have a bamboo pen & touch CTH-470. It works out of the box, but buttons need to be configured from command line as there is no GUI to do that. There are good instructions for that though, no particular skills needed to do it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast