Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo install rdesktop 1.5 including SeamLess Windows and much more...

Beans

Re: HowTo install rdesktop 1.5 including SeamLess Windows and much more...

Just a note to let you know it *IS* working for me, thank you! I've got an XP SP2 instance I've been running under vmware server for a few small apps and this will make it much more fun to administer them.

Thanks.

Beans

well i got mine to work also forgot to enable remote connections on the xp box..
    Dromio u mind sharing how u got it to work with a vmware image?

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by lime4x4 View Post
    well i got mine to work also forgot to enable remote connections on the xp box..
    Dromio u mind sharing how u got it to work with a vmware image?
    My 2003 instance is also a VMware instance...simply register & download VMware-Server from vmware.com ...it's free.

Create a virtual machine as if you were building a physical box, pop in the XP or 2k3 CD and start the install...simple as that.
    -- Work as if you do not need the money --
    Jacob
    http://howtoforums.net

Beans

i have that already installed..using vmware for xp and vista..What i meant was how do u actually make the connection to the virtual machine.. Do i have to have it running then use the ip of the virtual machine?

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by lime4x4 View Post
    i have that already installed..using vmware for xp and vista..What i meant was how do u actually make the connection to the virtual machine.. Do i have to have it running then use the ip of the virtual machine?
    Yes

--
    JB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hey, just wanted to say I got this going and it is sweet. Thanks to everyone who helped me out in the thread, and especially thanks to jbaloul for the original post.

Beans
    Hidden!

When I first tried to compile rdesktop I got loads of errors with xwin.h I found that the X11 libs where missing,

apt-get install libx11-dev

sorted it, incase anyone else finds they need it....

Cheers,

James

Beans

This works great with Windows XP Pro after patching as suggested. Thanks a lot.

One question: For some applications, I see additional rdesktop window which is fullscreen but it appears very dim. The window goes away when I close the application. Is this a known issue? If not, it must be screen refresh issue on my machine. Because sometimes the rdesktop window frame remains after closing the application.

Also, does anybody know how can I run two applications which depend on each other? May be create a command script and run it?

Thanks very much.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by bandoba View Post
    Also, does anybody know how can I run two applications which depend on each other?
    can you give an example?

JB

Beans

Hi JB,

I'm not sure how can I capture the screen to show you the dimmed rdesktop window. Will try that. But basically if I execute command for Internet Explorer, I see IE window + dimmed rdesktop window. But when I click on rdesktop window in bar near bottom, it just puts focus back in IE window.

Now for example about running 2 apps/processes:
    I use Outlook along with Yahoo Pops to receive Yahoo mails over POP. If I use the command in your example which runs Outlook, YPops doesn't start (even if it is in Startup folder). Looks like I have to run it specifically before Outlook starts so that it can retrieve email using POP.

The way I am doing it (still not full proof):
    I wrote a VBScript file where
    - I use Shell object to execute YPops.exe.
    - Secondly, I run Outlook.exe and wait for it to close.
    - After Outlook closes down, script ends. I think I need to close YPops.exe at this point which I haven't done yet.
    - With this, I run vbscript file instead of running Outlook.exe directly and it seems to work except when I close Outlook, the rdesktop session doesn't end. I think that is due to running YPops process and needs a fix as I said above.

- BTW, I updated Windows XP Pro as suggested by that link but it still doesn't allow 2 connections.
    - If I am running saying Notepad, and execute another rdesktop with IE, it just reopens the Remote Desktop with Notepad window in it. Does anybody see this kind of behavior?

TIA.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast