Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just installed Ubuntu and the internal keyboard doesn't work

Beans

Just installed Ubuntu and the internal keyboard doesn't work

Hello,

I installed ubuntu on an ASUS Eee PC and now the internal keyboard doesn't work at all. I chose to install only Ubuntu over a previous Windows 7 installation. Opted for the automatic partitioning option, did not chose encrypt home directory. I choose US keyboard, although this machine is from Canada, but if it was just a layout issue, some keys should work. Am I missing a driver?

Any suggestions? While I am waiting for replies, I will reinstall ....

I am adding additional observations that I made while trying to find a solution, which I haven't (Thursday August 21, 5:09 Atlantic)

The keyboard & touchpad work fine during the installation.
    The keyboard & touchpad work fine when just 'trying Ubuntu' from the USB drive
    The keyboard does not work in the desktop once Ubuntu is installed.
    The failure of the keyboard to respond is independent from the installation parameters (with/without LVM, 3rd party sw, automatic updates)
    A wireless keyboard connected after the installation doesn't work, either, but the mouse does (as does the touchpad).
    NOTE: The keycombination that brings me into the terminal DOES work!!!! [that doesn't seem to make any sense to me]

During startup a few error/debug messages appear:
    [13.136949] gma500 0000:00:02.0: GPU: Power management timed out.
    [13.640528] gma500 0000:00:02.0: trying to get vblank count for disabled pipe
    [13.642461] gma500 0000:00:02.0: trying to get vblank count for disabled pipe

but it seems that #1 has to do with the graphics card and the others don't seem to connected to a particular problem
    Last edited by sang-gyegmx.de; August 21st, 2014 at 09:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Just installed Ubuntu and the internal keyboard doesn't work

sang-gyegmx.de; Hello ;

We often see this as a result of what bios hands off to the ubuntu kernel. Maybe look in your bios for settings similar to "usb-legacy" and/or "plug and play". Alter the settings in bios and see if that works. This is "assuming" that the keyboard is functional up and until the ubuntu operating system is loaded ( no workie then bios/kernel are not communicating properly).

Else, if you can lay your hands on an old ps/2 keyboard, might help in the troubleshooting process.

a failure to communicate ?
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

woh - Thanks Bashing-OM,

that was quick. I'm reinstalling now without automatic update and 3rd party software ....

I tried a wireless mouse/keyboard combination before and the mouse works (as does the touchpad) but not the keyboard. During the installation (enter name, password, test keyboard screen) the keyboard works great ... afterwards it didn't . I'll check what happens the second time around and will go into the bios if the error still occurs. In any case, I will be back with you in a jiffy. Thanks again ...

Beans
    Distro

sang-gyegmx.de; Yepper;

That is a good thought too - not to install the 3rd party stuff and the updates at install time - as that keyboard is under the control of Xorg and it is possible that the 3rd party installed drivers are raising havoc with the keyboard. In this instance the proprietary drivers will not be installed.
    These matters can of course be taken care of after the install.

more than one path
    to an end

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Ok. Bashing-OM,

here I am again. No change through changing the installation parameters. Still no keyboard.

I looked into the bios and I couldn't find any legacy-usb or plug-play settings .... I will look for them again, while I wait for your reply.

But what I noticed is that when I start Ubuntu the following error message appears before Ubuntu starts:
    [13.640528] gma500 0000:00:02.0: trying to get vblank count for disabled pipe
    [13.642461] gma500 0000:00:02.0: trying to get vblank count for disabled pipe

Does that help.

I don't have a ps/2 keyboard, just my wireless and I tried that already.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro

sang-gyegmx.de; Oh Boy;

this:
    says we need to look at ACPI, and now we are getting into waters that I am not familiar with, nor comfortable.
    How to set boot options to overcome this:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBootParameters

These links will assist you in deciding/setting the boot parameters.

study
    to show thyself approved

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

thank you - I feel a little scared .... this is a friend's machine who wants to take it to the States next Wednesday (I already lost his house key when he was away the last time, no more f***-ups!)

just a an observation:
    I was able to use ALT CTR F2 to get into the terminal.

I don't know what to do there, and how to get out, but ... it seems relevant. Is there anything I can do in the terminal to change the keyboard settings? It's strange I can't find other threats on this subject.

I will look at the links you've sent.

Thank you
    Sang-gye

Beans

and it seems I can't leave the terminal - it asks for a password but the password I've set is not accepted.

Beans

Cold start ... arg ....

Another observation: I plugged the installation USB in again and chose Try Ubuntu (instead of Install) and the keyboard works. However, I don't think my friend will like this workaround.

Which kernel are you thinking of adding? The links you sent refer to older installations ( I have 14.04.1 LTS)

Beans
    Distro

sang-gyegmx.de;

Understand this, what you are experiencing is not the norm !
    Are you certain you are booting to a text terminal and not to a "grub >" prompt ?

Not a bad idea either to try and boot to a terminal and maybe do some exploration to get some idea of what is happening .

Let's try and boot to terminal the correct way ->
    Boot the install and as soon as the bios screen clears depress and hold the right shift key -> grub boot menu;
    With the top most entry highlighted press the 'e' key for edit mode -> boot options screen;
    Arrow down and across to the terms "quiet splash" and replace them with the term "text" - with out the quotes -.
    Key combo ctl+x to continue the boot process to a text terminal (TTY1).
    Login here with the username and password - there is no response to the screen when the password is entered, enter blindly and hit the enter key.

Are you logged into the system ?

IF so, next
    we can look around

Happy ubuntu'n !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast