Thread: Latex not working after upgrade to 14.04

Beans

Latex not working after upgrade to 14.04

I upgraded from 12.04 to 14.04 today. Now, I cannot compile my .tex files with latex or pdflatex. Whenever I try to compile anything I get the following message.
    Code:
    This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.5-1.40.14 (TeX Live 2013/Debian)
     restricted \write18 enabled.
    ---! /var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdftex/latex.fmt doesn't match pdftex.pool
    (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)
    I'm not sure what to do about this. When I was doing the upgrade today, I did get an error message that (if I remember correctly) said that the package tex-common didn't install. However, when I check in synaptic package manager that package is installed. I'm as stymied (and so is my latex compiler apparently). Anybody got any ideas on what to do?

Beans

Re: Latex not working after upgrade to 14.04

I did some searching and I found this information on what I thought might be the problem
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...opped_working.
    I tried recompiling the *.fmt files manually using the command
    Code:
    fmtutil --all
    as was suggested, but that didn't seem to work. I also tried moving the latex.fmt file to a new directory and then using the command
    Code:
    sudo fmtutil-sys --all
    to regenerate the .fmt file but that didn't work either. Finally, I put the latex.fmt file back and tried the command
    Code:
    sudo fmtutil-sys --refresh
    to try refreshing all the .fmt files. None of these options have worked. I'm still getting the same error message as before.

Beans

Not sure if it's relevant, but there seem to be a few people having success by renaming / deleting the user's ~/.texmf-var

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questio...ch-pdftex-pool

Beans

Thanks, but that didn't seem to work either. I'm starting to suspect that I need to uninstall and then reinstall texlive. What is the best way to do this to make sure I get a clean uninstall and then reinstall? I'm assuming the best would be to use Synaptic Package Manager to do a "complete removal" of anything with texlive in it. However, I noticed that that will even uninstall things like Kile, which I don't really want to remove if I don't have to. Is there a better way to do this?

Beans

Thanks, but that didn't seem to work either. I'm starting to suspect that I need to uninstall and then reinstall texlive. What is the best way to do this to make sure I get a clean uninstall and then reinstall? I'm assuming the best would be to use Synaptic Package Manager to do a "complete removal" of anything with texlive in it. However, I noticed that that will even uninstall things like Kile, which I don't really want to remove if I don't have to. Is there a better way to do this?

Beans

I ended up doing a complete removal and then reinstall of essentially all of texlive on my computer. That seemed to fix things! Not the most elegant solution but it worked.