Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cant access router config page

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Cant access router config page

I got new internet yesterday and although the internet is working, I cant get into the router config page. When I first got it, I was able to access it via 192.168.1.1 but then after I attempted (and failed) to get my wireless router working, the config page stopped loading in my browser. I no longer have the wireless router hooked up so the connection goes direct from my router to my pc. I am unable to ping my router and the gateway address does not show up anywhere. I've tried factory resets and countless power cycles and computer restarts and nothing is working. How can I regain access to my router?

route output:
    Code:
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
    default         *               0.0.0.0         U     0      0        0 ppp0
    118.23.62.123   *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 ppp0
    ifconfig output:
    Code:
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr bc:5f:f4:1c:46:d2  
              inet6 addr: 2001:a452:ea:a100:f4d5:3a77:8b42:6ce0/64 Scope:Global
              inet6 addr: fe80::be5f:f4ff:fe1c:46d2/64 Scope:Link
              inet6 addr: 2001:a452:ea:a100:be5f:f4ff:fe1c:46d2/64 Scope:Global
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:3354 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:3308 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
              RX bytes:2145691 (2.1 MB)  TX bytes:509900 (509.9 KB)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
              RX packets:343 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:343 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
              RX bytes:27264 (27.2 KB)  TX bytes:27264 (27.2 KB)

ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol  
              inet addr:153.199.75.210  P-t-P:118.23.62.123  Mask:255.255.255.255
              UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1454  Metric:1
              RX packets:3217 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:3129 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:3 
              RX bytes:2066400 (2.0 MB)  TX bytes:416623 (416.6 KB)

Beans
    Distro

Re: Cant access router config page

Did some more testing. I plugged my laptop into the router and had no problem accessing the router page so this is clearly a problem with my main computer. Is there a way to reset all the network settings so I can start from scratch?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Your ifconfig is not dislaying: wlan0

I hate to be simplistic, but have you checked your wireless setting? (Is it enabled?) (Someone with more beans may have a better idea.)

MarkN
    Running Linux on everything.
    Encouraging others to do the same.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

How do you have your router connected to the PC? Your ifconfig result doesn't look like any I've seen before; it includes a "ppp0" interface with an IP address that's not on the same subnet as your router's 192.168.1.1. To the best of my knowledge, the "ppp" prefix is used only for dial-up modems.

If your router is connected through the usual RJ-45 cable, I would expect the "eth0" interface to be the one used. You may need to work with the Network Manager a bit to get things straightened out. Unfortunately I can't help much there since I'm using Xubuntu which has different configuration files.

EDIT: It's possible that simply shutting down the machine, then starting it up again, might clear things up. Also I forgot to mention that lack of any routing to the "192.168.1.0" subnet is why you cannot access the router. Once the "eth0" interface gets cleared up everything should work properly again. The "wlan0" interface mentioned above would be for wireless connection, and as I understand your original post, you've abandoned use of wireless for now...
    Last edited by JKyleOKC; August 10th, 2014 at 06:30 AM. Reason: added more info
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JKyleOKC View Post
    How do you have your router connected to the PC? Your ifconfig result doesn't look like any I've seen before; it includes a "ppp0" interface with an IP address that's not on the same subnet as your router's 192.168.1.1. To the best of my knowledge, the "ppp" prefix is used only for dial-up modems.

If your router is connected through the usual RJ-45 cable, I would expect the "eth0" interface to be the one used. You may need to work with the Network Manager a bit to get things straightened out. Unfortunately I can't help much there since I'm using Xubuntu which has different configuration files.
    Yes, this is the problem. The only way Ive found to connect is with the terminal program pppoeconf. If I dont use that program, when I plug the network cable into the computer, it says eth0 is connected, but then offers no way for me to enter log-in details. Network manager doesnt even see the connection and when I try to enter it in manually, offers no way to attempt to connect. However, if I dont use pppoeconf, my ifconfig output looks normal.

EDIT: It's possible that simply shutting down the machine, then starting it up again, might clear things up. Also I forgot to mention that lack of any routing to the "192.168.1.0" subnet is why you cannot access the router. Once the "eth0" interface gets cleared up everything should work properly again. The "wlan0" interface mentioned above would be for wireless connection, and as I understand your original post, you've abandoned use of wireless for now...
    How do I clear up the eth0 interface? And yes, Im not concerned with the wireless at the moment. My hope is that once I get this problem solved, the wireless router issue will solve itself.

Beans

What do you mean exactly by "got new internet yesterday"? did that include new hardware from the ISP? it looks like you are connecting directly via a modem, rather than a router

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    What do you mean exactly by "got new internet yesterday"? did that include new hardware from the ISP? it looks like you are connecting directly via a modem, rather than a router
    I got new internet. The ISP gave me a router.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'm beginning to suspect that what we have here (to misquote the movie) may be a failure to communicate.

Is it possible that the "router" provided by your new ISP is actually just a modem? And the ISP folk are wrongly calling it a router?

Your report that the laptop can access the router configuration page perfectly indicates otherwise; a plain modem would not usually have such a page. However the IP shown by your listing for ppp0 is definitely NOT a LAN address; it appears to be a WAN address that normally would not be provided by a router! And personally, I've never before encountered a situation in which pppoe configuration was necessary to get out through a true router.

You might try booting the desktop with a live CD/DVD or USB stick, as you do when making the initial installation. This would bring it up with a completely virgin set of network interfaces and should then show connection via eth0 when you do a "sudo ifconfig -a" command in a terminal window. If it does, and eth0 has an IP (inet) address starting with "192.169.1" rather than the inet6 address of your earlier listing, then you should be able to reach the configuration page from the live session at least.

That won't be a cure, but it may well help us figure out just how to clean up the appropriate network configuration files in your actual installation! It's possible, for instance, that something in the router configuration itself might be causing the problem -- and in that case the eth0 IP address might well stay with the inet6 condition rather than correcting itself.
    Last edited by JKyleOKC; August 11th, 2014 at 03:28 AM. Reason: fat fingers
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro

Booted from live disk and was initially able to reach my router, but couldnt connect. I tried every possible setting configuration in network manager but nothing worked. I ended up connecting with pppoeconf again and once I did that, my access to the router was gone and ifconfig output was identical to what I have on the normal instalation. It appears that the problem is with pppoe connections...

Beans

The point is if you are connected via PPP then you are connecting to a modem not a router, and your computer will appear to be on the ISP's network public segment rather than a private LAN - we'd need to have more details about your network hardware to help you resolve this I think

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast