Quote Originally Posted by Gyokuro View Post
Debian has a much better vision as most other distributions and it's work together with upstream is superb. However everybody should make his/her own conclusion and should use what ever it's the best tool for the job.
I am a big fan of Debian. It is an excellent distribution. However, I take exception to the "vision" you talk about. What kind of distro is debian? Is it for desktops? Is it for servers? Is it for the enterprise? Is it for cloud? The answer of course is "Yes," to all of these questions. Debian works however you want it to; and that is the problem. Being all things to all people creates issues for specific use cases. For instance, should Debian include sendmail in a default install. For a server, probably yes. For a desktop, probably no. The problem with being a multi-purpose tool that can handle all situations means that there are usually specific tools for specific situations that will outperform you. Can debian be made to perform like these specific tools. Yes, of course it can, but it takes extra effort to make it do so.

By the way, this issue/problem is not unique to Debian. Fedora is also dealing with it and has created Fedora.Next as the long term solution. Likewise, this probably explains the numerous distros based on debian. As I said, it is a great multipurpose distro, but if you want, for instance, a desktop centric distro, you will probably go with one of the *buntus or Mint (assuming you want to stay Debian).

Again, this is by no means a criticism of Debian, only an observation. Now, in terms of the other things you mention, particularly their upstream work, it is spot on.