Thread: Support for Bibus (anywhere)?

Beans

Support for Bibus (anywhere)?

I've been searching for Bibus support for months now. It seems that the person supporting Bibus has been inactive for over a year (Sourceforge), and Bibus no longer works with OpenOffice.

Note: I don't use Libreoffice because it's way too buggy (multiple BAD issues) and doesn't have the add-ons I regularly use (such as enabling an interface between "R" and Calc). Bibus had interface problems with LibreOffice when I tried it... and I've tried all of the "fixes" suggested in the discussions I've read.

Bibus is a world better than any other Bibliographic software I've tried for the things I do... and the OpenOffice/LibreOffice versions don't come even close to being useful (I'd rather do it by hand than put up with them).

Does anyone know who is maintaining Bibus anymore, and can provide information so I can contact the maintainer about getting it to work again?

Thanks!
    Last edited by archaeometrist; June 15th, 2014 at 06:39 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Support for Bibus (anywhere)?

This is not a direct answer to your question but I use zotero. They have a standalone application and browsers extension (easy to collect refs from browsing and sync).
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Zotero
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

I've tried it and will never use it - it's not for me (again, like the stuff offered by LibreOffice and OpenOffice - I'd rather do it all manually instead of using that software). I distrust "the Cloud" (I insist on all of my data and software being local to my system as I sometimes don't have access to the internet) and have my references (several hundred) organized in Bibus, in a way that really makes referencing a lot easier.

Beans

I, too, am a heavy user of Bibus. Alas, Bibus does seem to be dead. The launchpad site for Bibus bug reports no longer exists. Bibus' forums are quiet. The version of Bibus in the repositories (1.5.2-3) does not work with the version of Libreoffice in the repositories (1:4.2.3~rc3-0ubuntu2; Bibus will not communicate with Libreoffice). If Bibus is, indeed, dead, I'd like to see it removed from the repositories so that others don't waste time trying to accomplish the impossible. Anyone been able to make a current version of Bibus work with a current version of Libreoffice?

Beans

I ended up going with Mendeley (IMO the only real alternative for Linux users - to me Zotero is cr*p). I don't much like Mendeley because they INSIST on having a record of the database on their server and you have a small risk that they will start requiring regular users to pay them a subscription (that's happened with other software I used to use - back in my ******* days) or you loose control of your own data, but at least they got it working with OpenOffice (it's also a bit more "klunky" and requires more thought and personal involvement in keeping it organized). I'd rather have Bibus, but when you have several thousand references (my own list turned out to be almost a couple of thousand citations, and my mentor shared his reference database with me - to the tune of several thousand entries), you take what works - and doing it by hand (even with a searchable database), well, citing properly (and making changes) became quite a headache at times.

I have to admit that Mendeley has a few features that I like that Bibus didn't have... but I do prefer personal control over the data.