Thread: Learning Perl, Trying to Automate Text File changes

Beans

Learning Perl, Trying to Automate Text File changes

Hi,

I've been trying to learn Perl and I like it.
    But I'm now having trouble automating Text files.

I have scripts now that just call Vi For Example: (system ("vi /etc/file.conf") and that creates or edits but I still have to manually edit it and then :wq! to save and exit Vi.
    Is there a way I can have this process automated, I was told I should learn awk/sed for this but I don't know where to start or what to do.

Suggestions would be awesome, Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Learning Perl, Trying to Automate Text File changes

For quick changes to text files, sed is the right tool if the setting you want is already inside.

All of these tools are based on "regular expressions" - a specialized pattern matching language. "RegEx" is what grep uses too.

http://www.grymoire.com/unix/sed.html - sed tutorial.

You can use perl for this too, but I wouldn't (speaking as a Perl programmer myself). Lots of overhead that just isn't necessary for normal conf files.

If you want to manage servers, then look for a server management tool like Ansible, chef, puppet, rexify, salt. Rexify is written in Perl. I prefer Ansible - takes about 30 minutes to start managing servers. If ssh is already working ... you are over 50% done.

I wouldn't bother with awk that this point, but learning enough to slap a tiny 1 liner isn't hard. sed and cut are plenty, then use perl if something more complex is needed.

Beans

Alright Awesome, Thank you For the suggestions and tips!

What I do is I create a lot of Linux VMs and they require set-up and changes to certain config files.
    So what I've been doing is automating the set-up with a simple perl script that runs the needed commands to set it up instead of manually typing commands for everything. but when it comes to the config files then I have to use Vi to edit them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

vagrant and ansible. There are other ways too - probably 500 of them. Vagrant is more for developers. I've never used it.
    http://docs.vagrantup.com/v2/provisioning/ansible.html

virt-install is another way.

I use ansible to manage about 30 VMs. We don't create new VMs very often, so using virt-manager is fine to get the machine up with ssh. Then I .... http://blog.jdpfu.com/2014/02/28/1st...es-on-a-server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I can't agree learning awk is a waste of time. I've solved many non-trivial problems with it and i still don't know perl.
    AWK offers excellent ROI - after just few hours of learning you can solve like 95% of common problems sed fails at.
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Vaphell View Post
    I can't agree learning awk is a waste of time. I've solved many non-trivial problems with it and i still don't know perl.
    AWK offers excellent ROI - after just few hours of learning you can solve like 95% of common problems.
    Agreed, but that same comment could be made for perl, ruby, python, bash or ...

If you have 5+ servers to manage, check out ansible. I think you'll thank me. Ensuring a config option exists inside a config file is trivial with Ansible. If it exists, it will be left alone. If the line exists, but isn't what you want, it will be changed. If the setting is not in the conf file, it will be added. All with just 1 trivial ansible input. If you are managing 50 conf files, all the pre-written, pre-validated ansible code really speeds things up.
    My ansible file to have logwatch use my email address:
    common_logwatch_settings.yml
    Code:
    ---
    - name: Make logwatch mail {{ logwatch_email }} daily
      action: lineinfile dest=/etc/cron.daily/00logwatch 
              regexp="^/usr/sbin/logwatch" line="/usr/sbin/logwatch --output mail --mailto $logwatch_email --detail high" 
              state=present create=yes
    and that is a complex version.
    for sshd_config settings:
    Code:
    ---
    - name: Update ssh parameters  - no root login
      action: lineinfile dest=/etc/ssh/sshd_config
        regexp="PermitRootLogin" line="PermitRootLogin without-password"
        state=present create=yes
      action: lineinfile dest=/etc/ssh/sshd_config
        regexp="X11Forwarding" line="X11Forwarding yes"
        state=present create=yes
      notify:
        - restart ssh
    Last edited by TheFu; December 28th, 2014 at 11:15 PM. Reason: added ansible examples.

Beans

Interesting, I'm going to look into that. Thank you!

But Yeah I create and delete a lot of VMs off my Non-Profit business CentOS Hosted KVM Server.
    And where I work I create lots of VMs using VMware Vsphere Client for customers and some customers require Ubuntu for Development and testing. So my Scripts help me complete my Deployments more efficiently.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Agreed, but that same comment could be made for perl, ruby, python, bash or ...
    Well, no. Bash has tons of caveats because of the legacy cruft in the whole shell business, python as a general purpose language requires much more boilerplate code to even read the damn file and extract relevant stuff (i suspect ruby is in the same category), perl... well, terse syntax makes it a write only language. The time investment to get any utility from them in text file mangling is considerable.

Sed is a black magic once you go beyond s/// and sucks hard at multiline stuff which is not a problem for awk (configurable RS) and the awk code is mostly what, a bunch of clean condition { do/print something } applied on a record-by-record basis?

for me it's bash, sed -> awk -> python and i pull python once for every 20 5minute awk hacks, mostly for things like xml, where text layout != doc structure or when having multilayered arrays/dictionaries is beneficial.
    Last edited by Vaphell; April 8th, 2014 at 10:34 PM.
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls