Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replace Windows 8 with Ubuntu

Beans

Post Replace Windows 8 with Ubuntu

HI how are u ? i just want to know if i can do this !!!!!

/ i want to completely replace Windows 8 with Ubuntu i have my laptop " toshiba satellite c850-b765 "

system info :
    Last edited by fahdozi; March 28th, 2014 at 12:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Replace Windows 8 with Ubuntu

I was running Windows 8.1 pro w/media centre on my desktop until Windows tried to update and died. So after Windows leathally updating AGAIN, I said "I'm done" and now all my computers run Linux. The only reason I used Windows was because I game with my desktop. Anyway, the point is that you can totaly do it! I've worked off of Linux for years. I use it on my laptop for college work all the time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

what is the GPU?

yes, you can do it.

to test it out and see if everythign work first you can run it in live session (no install).
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

CPU and RAM are fine. I can't find the graphics/wifi card/chipset of that computer. Those are sometimes problematic, but usually solvable. Try running Ubuntu from a live disk, without altering your system.

Do you have Linux experience? Cold turkey conversions often end in disappointment.

Beans

Definitely, your computer seems to be able to handle it. So far after replacing windows 7 with it the only problems i've had are with my graphics driver, but I probably just did something wrong

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    what is the GPU?

yes, you can do it.

to test it out and see if everything work first you can run it in live session (no install).
    hd7610m
    basically a amd HD7000 series gpu
    you may want to wait a week for the release candidate of 14.04 so you can have the latest kernel with a good driver for that gpu out of the box
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

You really need to try the LiveCD route before making the switch.

Lots of folks with Toshibas have reported problems on the forums and the HD7xxx series doesn't appear to work very well with AMD drivers.

One of the main reasons I strongly recommend dual-booting before making the switch is so that folks have a fallback position, should the conversion not go well.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

In addition we get several users every day who just erase Windows and then find one game or application or school needs for Windows and want to reinstall Windows in dual boot.
    If really wanting Ubuntu best to start with dual booting. Then make full backup of Windows if you do decide to erase it.

Linux is not Windows:
    http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Ubuntu is not Windows
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/...ows-to-ubuntu/
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sw...tu/FromWindows
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

if it is a school application you can install windows in a virtualbox, any AMD cpu or intel CPU that is at least a i3 support vitalization
    but with resource intensive games, you should keep windows for that
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by fahdozi View Post
    HI how are u ? i just want to know if i can do this !!!!!
    You can, but before you do I would suggest carefully examining the pros and cons discussed in the first site listed in my sig line.

At the very least play around with a live CD or USB. Get to know something about the operating system before you make a commitment. Remember one thing: Linux is not free Windows.
    There's a non-monetary price to be paid for switching. The site referenced explains most of the details. Read before you leap. And the best of luck to you!
    In working with *nix...There be dragons. Newcomers: I recommend reading Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and The Linux Command Line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) before beginning your quest for a better OS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast