Thread: Chromecast connection problems

Beans
    Hidden!

Chromecast connection problems

I'm running 12.04 and received a new Chromecast recently. Have never been able to connect to my network to set it up even though my TV, android tablet and computer saw the network and connected without any issue. Trying to rule out that Ubuntu is the culprit but doubt that it is. My TV and tablet see the Chromecast but the computer which is hardwired to the router does not which tells me that CC has not successfully connected to an access point. When I try to connect my tablet to the Chromecast it connects but has no internet. Any ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Chromecast connection problems

Quote Originally Posted by unibroker View Post
    I'm running 12.04 and received a new Chromecast recently. Have never been able to connect to my network to set it up even though my TV, android tablet and computer saw the network and connected without any issue. Trying to rule out that Ubuntu is the culprit but doubt that it is. My TV and tablet see the Chromecast but the computer which is hardwired to the router does not which tells me that CC has not successfully connected to an access point. When I try to connect my tablet to the Chromecast it connects but has no internet. Any ideas?
    I am posting this update (this is a post I made at another board) in case there are others in the same boat.

Happy to say I've got a working Chromecast. I borrowed a friend's laptop with Win7 and installed it without a hitch. The wireless device I was using is a rooted Nook Color and read that some of the custom roms were causing problems; something about adhoc not being active. Whatever, now I've got Chromecast on my network.

Another thing that might be of interest is that I am dual boot (Ubuntu/WinXP) on my desktop and cannot cast from the Ubuntu OS but when I switch to the WinXP I can. From Ubuntu the Chrome Cast button turns red and says, "The selected device is no longer online. Please select a different device". Was I shocked when I tried WinXP for the first time and turned around to see the tab from my browser on the TV!

Thanks for your help eibgrad.