Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adobe Flash Crashing

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Adobe Flash Crashing. *sigh*

Movie trailers on IMDB play without crashing, but there is no audio...

Beans

Obviously your CPU should easily manage Youtube if it is not faulty, i suggest you use a log file viewer to look at some files such as /var/log/dmesg or /var/log/syslog. Use intuition to try and determine if there are any serious problem messages and then Google them and/or post them here.

d-cosner is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

I turn off hardware acceleration in Firefox first because as I understand it is not supported under Linux. Next, I open a YouTube video in full screen, right click on it and take away the check mark in settings for hardware acceleration. For some reason the video needs to be in full screen for this to work. Restart Firefox and YouTube videos should play without crashing.

I have used this method on several computers and it has worked every time. Unfortunately, sometimes there will be a slight hesitation once in a while while playing a video but it is not too bad and at least videos play half way decent.

MiniTube will play YouTube videos without problems as long as you install the current version. You can get minitube from the authors web site or from the software center. In the software center the current version is called minitube-ubuntu. The older version simply labeled as minitube will not work, so if you decide to go this route it is important to install the current version so that it will run on your system.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for your guess, but even with hardware acceleration disabled from a fullscreen movie, my problem persists.
    I still have my money on it being an ALSA issue, but I havent found anything that helps yet.

Beans
    Distro

Firefox updated yesterday, flashplugin updated today. Youtube still crashes. I tried with a new clean profile, still no luck...

Beans

You keep talking about Youtube, does it mean videos work on other flash sites? It is not clear from your posts whether you have a flash problem or a Youtube problem. Youtube != flash !

If other sites work then it is probably not a flash problem but your Firefox profile being corrupted or something. Try clear all your cookies and restart Firefox and see if it works. If still crashing create a new profile and test again.

BTW, you can play all Youtube videos in html5 (among MANY non flash solutions) so if Youtube is all you care about you don't even need flash.https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...lash-to-HTML5/ (flash does have to be disabled if you use this)
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; February 21st, 2014 at 02:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I say Youtube because its the quickest place I could think of to easily test flash. Its a mixed bag as far as other websites go. imdb i know plays the videos fine, but no audio. I don't think I have heard any sound through flash on any site.

As mentioned in my last post, I have tried with a new clean profile and it made no difference.

And HTML5 for Youtube is just putting a band-aid on the problem. Im hoping to resolve it.

Beans
    Distro

HTML5 still has no audio either.

I tried getting XBMC going the other day and noticed that it too has no audio, so I a leaning towards this being an ALSA issue, but I still haven't made any progress.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12