Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Editing some of the screenshots I made a mess of it. Two are attached which show the current state of Networking.

Upon cold boot this morning, I have access to the Netgear (192.168.2.1), and I have access to the external USB connected hard disk drive plugged into the router, too.

This is my preliminary understanding of what this stack of stuff is doing or trying.

The raspbmc wants to use the Netgear router. Very much does raspbmc want to use that router. I have tried several methods of configging, with DHCP and DHCP Unique Name and then with one or the other of those. I have tried to assign IP addresses and Gateway addresses and DNS Server addresses. That is I have tried to set the IP, Gateway, and DNS with and without using DHCP.

All that results in is the Raspbmc reporting: "Not connected to the internet" or staying on "Busy", where the IP, Gateway, and DNS Primary and Secondary servers cannot get online.

Attached are screenshots of the Network Configuration in it's current state. The first one shows the WiFi settings. It is a hybrid of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx as I set a static IP for the wifi and then re-enabled DHCP and Unique Name.

The third screenshot shows what the PI has for for it's IP address (192.168.1.111) but from the 3rd screenshot you can see that the MAC address is labeled: busy and the IP is with the Negear's subnet of ".2", so I'm not able to disable the wired networking part of the PI and connect to the wifi. Talking with a nerd, here, he says set the Primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 2ard to 8.8.4.4 (Google's DNS numbers). I have tried to set he Pri DNS to 8.8.8.8 but that doesn't connect me to the internet, either.

So, to review:

The Raspbmc (Raspberry PI) has selected some of it's own configurations and currently the WIRED state is set as:

MAC Address is all zero - this is a feature under development. Not showing in this window is not more than window dressing, I'm told by the developer of raspbmc.
    Use DHCP - not enabled
    Unique DHCP Client name: Enabled
    IP Address: 192.168.2.22
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.2.1
    DNS Server: 192.168.2.1

Wireless (WiFi)

Use DHCP - Enabled
    Unique DHCP Client name: Enabled
    IP Address: 192.168.1.111
    Gateway: 192.168.1.254
    DNS Server: 192.168.1.254

The Network Information Screen (3rd last screenshot) has:

Link: Connected
    MAC address: Busy
    IP address: 192.168.2.22
    Gateway: 192.168.2.1
    Primary DNS: 192.168.2.1
    Secondary DNS: -blank-
    Internet: Busy

When the Raspbmc has an internet connection, rather than "Busy" it reads: "Connected" - I have seen this in prior installations of the raspbmc.

The words in the left hand column of the screenshots, are for different information and not relevant to networking. These screenshots are from the "Network" page of information. I apologize the the blurriness, I had to take photographs of this as there is not a template for them I can find using Google's "Image" search.

Next, I tried to change some of the Wired and Wireless settings. Those changes seems to have had little or no effect on getting online via wifi. I have attached a second set of screenshots to show that.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark_in_Hollywood; February 14th, 2014 at 02:55 AM.
    AMD FX-6300, 8gig ddr3, MSI 970 Gaming, 256G WD blue SSD, GeForce GT710, HP LJ Pro M277-fdw

Beans

Try manual (No DHCP) IP configuration for the Ethernet WITHOUT Gateway and DNS. That is, assign only IP (192.168.2.xxx type) and Subnet (255.255.255.0) to the Ethernet interface.

For WiFi interface, keep DHCP enabled, don't do anything manually in it. Here I am assuming that DHCP 'Server' is enabled in your wifi rotuer which is able to do its job and the Raspbmc can get its IP, Subnet, Gateway and DNS via that DHCP, you don't have to configure it manually (if you have to, configure ALL these fields for the WiFi).

With two gateways defined (both for ethernet and wifi), the Raspbmc is probably trying to use the one that looks faster (obviously the Ethernet). When it will have only one (the WiFi), it should only that one.

Let me know if that lets it connect to the Internet.

Assuming this should work, you may have to re-configure the DHCP range of the Netgear router to 'EXCLUDE' the IP which you assigned to the Raspbmc, otherwise IP conflict may occur at times and you may not be able to access the PI via ethernet.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123