Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: File Manager that lets you search and pull (cut) files from folders (Windows 7)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: File Manager that lets you search and pull (cut) files from folders (Windows 7)

I hardly ever use drag-and-drop (I love terminals), but I just tried in thunar. Drag-and-drop in the same partition defaults to move (inode stays the same), drag-and-drop to a different partition defaults to copy (original file remains).

Beans

Re: File Manager that lets you search and pull (cut) files from folders (Windows 7)

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    I hardly ever use drag-and-drop (I love terminals), but I just tried in thunar. Drag-and-drop in the same partition defaults to move (inode stays the same), drag-and-drop to a different partition defaults to copy (original file remains).
    Awesome. Just so I can try to replicate, were you using thunar to search a folder before you did a drag-and-drop? Or another search program?

Beans

Ctrl-X and Ctrl-V (or Edit/Cut and Edit/Paste) can cut and paste files in most file managers, even to move files between different partitions, provided you have required permissions.

Beans

Just tried in Xubuntu 13.10 and it doesn't work. I have the same issue I've had for years. My process, Created several files made 3 folders put a few files in each folder and then put one folder into another until I had a stack. Right clicked and did a search, pulled up all of the files, sorted them, selected them, and then tried Ctrl-X, tried right clickin but I only get for an option (that is relavent) Copy Location. What are you all doin' that I'm not?

Beans

Update! I found Caja 1.4.0 works!!! I can pull out files. Thank you Linux Mint. I just tested this too. I have the answer I've been needing.
    Is there any way to get Caja in Lubuntu? I did some searching and the only thing I came up with is that it is paired with Linux Mint MATE.
    Last edited by hardkhora; November 12th, 2013 at 08:50 PM.

Beans

**Un-needed, sorry**
    Last edited by hardkhora; November 12th, 2013 at 08:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Nautilus does this by default in 13.04 for me. If I open a folder and start searching, all sub-folders get searched, I can then select all and cut or copy then paste the files to a new location.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I just tried this with nautilus/files in gnome 3.10 and it appears to work? So there is a plus for the oft' maligned Nautilus
    Last edited by alphacrucis2; November 12th, 2013 at 04:58 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    Nautilus does this by default in 13.04 for me. If I open a folder and start searching, all sub-folders get searched, I can then select all and cut or copy then paste the files to a new location.
    13.04 of Ubuntu? I'll have to try Nautilus in Lubuntu again.

Maybe off topic, but is there any way to get Caja in Lubuntu? I did some searching and the only thing I came up with is that it is paired with Linux Mint MATE.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by hardkhora View Post
    13.04 of Ubuntu?
    Yes plain old Unity.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast