Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy Salamander) Final!

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy Salamander) Final!

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    Okay so me your local friendly troublemaker is back here to give my opinion on Ubuntu 13.10 so far:

The good:

Ubuntu 13.10 is very slick and actually well made.
    It performs like a charm, very little lag and things are snappy and most importantly functional.
    It actually feels quite stable so kudos to Canonical on this front.

The bad:

The new smart scopes feature is just plain AWFUL, I mean really dreadfully awful.
    I mean its nice you can turn its features off but there are a LOT of un needed and un necessary ones activated by default.
    I think there should be an "all off" feature in the dash as outside of using system settings there is no way to turn off all these blasted un necessary plugins.
    I think there should be something in the setup that allows you to turn off the scopes you want and dont.
    Want searching from google? Yahoo? Bing? Duckduckgo? okay fine but allow the user to allow what services run during setup and not some half baked potato of a feature like this.
    Smart scopes is an interesting feature but it leaves a lot to be desired.

The ugly:

So where is this mighty powerful most be so good that it isnt in Ubuntu 13.10 as promised Mir?
    Yeah if this is a feature that may or not be in Ubuntu 14.04 then where is it?
    After reading this: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/10/x...ed-cards-13-10 it does not give me confidence in Mir at all, it seems like some convoluted dream.
    I do hope if its not ready then its not shipped on 14.04, according to the rumors it is not and I hope those rumors remain true, if its one thing we cannot afford is a potentially unstable element to be in 14.04
    If this was going to appear in 14.10 then I would not object to it as it would not bother me as i usually stick with LTS releases (unless they are 12.04 which is perhaps the worst LTS I have used from Ubuntu)
    If 14.04 is good i may consider Ubuntu as my main linux again.
    But there is only one way to find out now is there?
    I really hope 14.04 holds onto X as an option, if Mir isnt ready now it sure as heck wont be ready for the stability workhorse I hope 14.04 will be.
    TLDR, but did you upgrade or clean install?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by help_me2 View Post
    TLDR, but did you upgrade or clean install?
    Clean install, though my initial test I did update.
    I cleaned my home partition and everything too.

Beans

You know )double posing here it seems sorry) another completely useless "feature" in Ubuntu 13.10 is the input source button in the indicators.
    Sure its nice if you need to change your layout but its useless if you want a caps lock indicator.
    Honestly I really wish Ubuntu adopted the lock keys applet as an official product.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by The Spectre View Post
    It appears that the Final Ubuntu 13.10 ISO's have gone live...

http://releases.ubuntu.com/13.10/

http://releases.ubuntu.com/saucy/

Yup! Currently on it! My desktop at least, today.

Love it.

Beans

I may give it a go, download and save it, then make a copy of all of my data to a thumbdrive. Not tonight, but maybe next week.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

After a couple of days everything is running great with Ubuntu 13.10 other than the usual issues with PPA's and waiting for them to be updated for 13.10.

I have the Laptop that I am on now and a Desktop system that I did the Upgrade method of getting 13.10 and both are working great.

The Desktop system originally had Ubuntu 12.10 on it and I did the Upgrade method to 13.04 and now it is Upgrade to 13.10.

I am still amazed on how well the Upgrade method works in Ubuntu.

I have only been using Ubuntu for about a Year and prior to that I was a Windows user and upgrading from an old version of Windows to a new version of Windows usually resulted in FUBAR, so I always did a Format of the hard drive and did a Clean install followed by the long tedious process of completing all of the Windows updates and Driver updates and then Re-installing all of the software.

Even if I were to do a Clean install of Ubuntu the time involved to get everything back would be a fraction of the time involved to get everything back in Windows.

Screenshot.png

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@TheSpectre: That is great to hear (regarding your success with each upgrade right into the current 13.10)...I have been having very successful results upgrading also...i was just curious, which method did you use for doing the upgrading? The option from the software updater or the option from the installer iso? (I have been using the installer iso option to upgrade myself)...

If it was from the software updater...how long did it take and did everything transfer over?

You can read about my experience here (which was using the iso installer's option to upgrade):
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2181643
    Last edited by craig10x; October 20th, 2013 at 06:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    @TheSpectre: That is great to hear (regarding your success with each upgrade right into the current 13.10)...I have been having very successful results upgrading also...i was just curious, which method did you use for doing the upgrading? The option from the software updater or the option from the installer iso? (I have been using the installer iso option to upgrade myself)...

If it was from the software updater...how long did it take and did everything transfer over?

You can read about my experience here (which was using the iso installer's option to upgrade):
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2181643
    I did the Upgrade using the Ubuntu Software Updater.

I'm not sure how long it took to update the Laptop because I logged in to it remotely from work to start the Upgrade process before I got home, but my Desktop Computer took about 20 to 25 Minutes to complete the Upgrade process and the only programs that I had to Re-install was TeamViewer and XScreenSaver because they were removed during the Upgrade process.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Very good...sounds like that method works well also...yeah, if you read my linked thread you know i lost a few things too...but it was easy enough to put them back and did not take long at all...and sure saves a heck of a lot of work and time putting all those programs, data and setting back to the way you like it...I'm planning on using it to roll into each new final release from now on...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12