Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu on Dell XPS 13

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu on Dell XPS 13

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Arnold View Post
    Yeah, I heard it is still available in other regions but for some reason the US site won't sell it directly to you. They offer up Windows versions instead.
    Inside the USA, Linux just isn't as popular with "regular people" - most people have **never** even heard the term, IME. Having a product line and supporting is gets expensive, so if they've been unable to sell a certain number of units, it just isn't cost effective to keep the offering. Sad, but try.

Or it could be a contract clause between the 2 parties. Probably not anymore. Plus, selling a Win-based PC lets Dell add-on all the crapware to lower the price more than the OEM Win install costs.

My eyes have been opened recently after an installfest last month. Getting Linux installed on some newer PCs is ... er ... non-trivial. We failed completely with 2 laptops with 5 experts helping. It was the UEFI issues that we were unable to get passed, plus the lack of knowledge about the computers from the owners. This event was at a local university where not all the students had high power laptops, so virtualization resulted in less than great results.

Or it could be that "I have issues."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Ubuntu on Dell XPS 13

Sad thing is, I'd actually like an updated XPS 13 Dev Edition. Keep the price about the same and upgrade to the newest processor and I'd be in... or lower the price on the current hardware.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12