Thread: UFW Prevents devices to connect to WiFi hotspot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

UFW Prevents devices to connect to WiFi hotspot

I am trying to use my ethernet connected, Ubuntu powered machine as a WiFi Hotspot to connect to my Netbook and Android Phone.
    With NetworkManager not yet supporting WPA through 'infrastructure' I am using this script, as described HERE.

I have UFW enabled with some basic rules. The said script helps establish connection to my Netbook and Android if and when the UFW is disabled.
    When UFW is enabled my devices are "trying to obtain IP" and disconnect. The problem seems to be with IP MASQUERADE, however I am not sure.

I have tried workaround described here to enable masquerading through UFW. But I made no progress. I also tried the workaround here; its bit old but I guess UFW rules still apply.

It will be a great help if the forum can confirm that it is indeed the issue related with 'Masquerading' and help me tweak UFW to allow 'Network Sharing'.

Like I mentioned, if UFW is disabled the said script works and I am able to connect my Netbook and Android Phone to the hotspot and share Internet.
    Need help resolving this issue...

(I can provide more info if necessary).

Regards...
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: UFW Prevents devices to connect to WiFi hotspot

BUMP...

I don't feel comfortable using Wifi without UFW.
    Any ideas?
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."