Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: code tags in quick reply

Beans

Re: code tags in quick reply

I think one of the considerable points is this -
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaphell View Post
    Also many nooblets have trouble figuring out how to post clean outputs inside code tags, use clearly visible quote button instead and have to be instructed how to achieve desirable effect.
    Sure we expert users can use workarounds, like using addons or taking advantage of our practice and speed. But..

1) those who are new and not 'tekky' types are almost always unaware of such workarounds. And telling them to use addons would be just an additional burden to their existing problem for which they have come here for.

2) Those who are experienced users and need the tag frequently, may not always be typing the codes by hand (in which case, it makes more sense to somehow get the job done by hand in the same flow rather than grabbing mouse and hunt for a button). We very often are just copy-pasting them using mouse, and in that context, it is easier to use a button that is in front than navigating through right-click menus (or typing tags by hand).

As for using addon, I just tried "bbcode insert" extension on my chromium. Doesn't work (It seems BBCodextra is only available for FF) Not asking for help, just stating what I just faced.

I think what Vaphell posted comes from frequent experience and need for a somewhat desirable feature.

Not that any of that is going to make any difference though, as there is not much admins can do about it.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

1) those who are new and not 'tekky' types are almost always unaware of such workarounds. And telling them to use addons would be just an additional burden to their existing problem for which they have come here for.
    Which is why I posted my workaround..

However the add-on works even better; the thread has helped greatly in making me aware of it. Such "keyboard macro" tools are quite useful in many other ways also!
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

We know that this 'issue' is there - has been since, I assume, long before I joined the forum 7 years ago.

It's been brought up before and I daresay it will be brought up again.

It's certainly not the first time I've referred to the f/f addon.

At present we have no plans to do anything about it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

completely forgot about this thread

i tried the ff addon and frankly it sucks ass. Sure it offers all the tags but you need intermediate steps to get to the [code] (iirc category -> subcategory ->code). If it was at the top level maybe it would be a different story, now it's too much hassle. It's easier to skip the nonsense and type it manually (i do this all the time), still it's annoying when i have a text heavily interspersed with single code lines, eg to explain line by line what code does and typing all these tags is a pain, off by one errors creep in or missed /'s. Sometimes its would be simply easier to just highlight the line and press a shiny button. Just imagine if there was no color widget and you had to type the tags and the #rrggbb code/colorname by hand...

on a slightly unrelated note: why is the post editbox set to some shiny font and not to monospace? How to properly indent code for improved readability, which in case of python is a make or break thing? Trial and error that is currently required seriously rustles my jimmies.
    And another, not that important question: is the font combo on the top panel of edit area hardcoded? Imo it should also include font families serif, sans-serif, monospace etc, because i don't think i have these microsofty fonts, at least not on every setup.
    Last edited by Vaphell; October 19th, 2013 at 10:59 AM.
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Vaphell View Post
    on a slightly unrelated note: why is the post editbox set to some shiny font and not to monospace? How to properly indent code for improved readability, which in case of python is a make or break thing? Trial and error that is currently required seriously rustles my jimmies.
    And another, not that important question: is the font combo on the top panel of edit area hardcoded? Imo it should also include font families serif, sans-serif, monospace etc, because i don't think i have these microsofty fonts, at least not on every setup.
    I've always had to copy/paste stuff from vim.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

but if i am not mistaken the old version used monospace for editbox. I don't remember having problems with code alignment before the migration.
    Either way, it comes from CSS and imho it should be set back to monospace. This is not a literature forum, font in the edit box doesn't have to be pretty. I guess i will have to hack out an override for the Stylish addon...

Btw, when i think about the [code] i start to see the irony of the whole situation. The forum devoted to linux, the uncontested king of customizability among the OSes, is crippled by the defaults of proprietary software and using it to its fullest is like trying to fit the square peg into a round hole
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123