Thread: general desplay info for servers

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Question general desplay info for servers

I have ubuntu server 12.10 and I was thinking it would be nice to be able to just turn on my servers monitor and see some general info about it (without logging in ). Like a screen saver of sorts that would display various info like lm-sensor output, ram usage, hdd usage, printer status, network activity, cpu usage, etc. I guess similarly to the system info when you login but actively displays the info when no user is logged in

i guess what im asking is does a software like this exist for servers (without having to install X-server)

i.e.

System information as of Mon Sep 23 12:33:49 EDT 2013

System load: 0.14 Processes: 168
    Usage of /: 43.5% of 228.26GB Users logged in: 0
    Memory usage: 50% IP address for p5p1: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Swap usage: 0% IP address for eth2: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Beans

Re: general desplay info for servers

What is currently displayed with the text-based login prompt is the contents of the text file at /etc/issue.

For example, on my Kubuntu 13.04 setup, the contents of this file is as follows:

Code:
    Ubuntu 13.04 \n \l
    Looks like "\n" refers to the hostname of the machine and "\l" refers to the name of the terminal (I.E.: tty1)

Maybe you can look into having something update this file every minute or so, though there is no guarantee what you see on screen is the most recent stats (Your example if including the timestamp would help with identifying this).

If Ubuntu is using agetty, the man page for agetty includes escape codes available under the section Issue Escapes.
    Last edited by zitch; September 23rd, 2013 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Added link for man pages to agetty

Beans
    Distro

seems like an interesting avenue to explore but not realy what im hoping to do

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by killernat View Post
    I have ubuntu server 12.10 and I was thinking it would be nice to be able to just turn on my servers monitor and see some general info about it (without logging in ). Like a screen saver of sorts that would display various info like lm-sensor output, ram usage, hdd usage, printer status, network activity, cpu usage, etc. I guess similarly to the system info when you login but actively displays the info when no user is logged in

i guess what im asking is does a software like this exist for servers (without having to install X-server)
    "Software" does exist, you simply write your own script to output the data to the console tty port and refresh every few seconds. Every single tool to do this is in the base Linux install.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro

i was hoping for an exciting solution as i don't have any free time to play with scripting