Thread: transmisson

Beans

transmisson

I'm a complete newbie novice! (so please forgive any errors in forum etiquette) running ubuntu 13.04 on toshiba sattelite L750D. i have painfully slow tranmission download speed (no more than 150kb/s at best). ive been trying to read as much info as i can about port forwarding, and even found an old thread from 2007 with a terminal command prompt {sudo iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 6881 -j ACCEPT} which i tried but nothing happened ~ suspect its cos this version of ubuntu is vastly updated since 2007? ubuntu is so fab compared to windows, but i still have residual windows brain, so i suspect i'm overcomplicating things and there's probably a really simple solution that doesnt involve downloading software intended for windows, opening it with wine, so i can manually change my post forward settings just to get a download within a month!! sigh! can anyone help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: transmisson

Are you sure that it's not just the torrent causing the low speed?

A standard Ubuntu installation doesn't have the firewall enabled, so the command in your post won't have any effect. Also port forwarding only affects the speed you can upload torrents, not download speed.

I use Transmission as my torrent client and it has always been able to max out my internet connection (both up and down) without me having to do anything at all.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Re: transmisson

Thanx for replying! Truthfully i'm not sure, i've only been using this o.s for a few weeks. But some torrents, even recent things with lots of seeders, never even start, say 'stalled' or 'idle', and still like that after a week, so i usually delete and look for a differant link. i live in highlands so internet speed not great, but i have friends locally on the same o.s and their speeds much faster than mine. (used to use bit torrent on windows 7, it was much faster.) now on transmission your talking two weeks for a new dvd rip film to download. something aint right!!