Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: change user account icon

Beans

change user account icon

Hi all. Been trying to figure out how to change the user account icon. I wanted to change it to a costum picture when prompted to put in a password to login. Tried a few times unsucessfully. Anyone know how?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: change user account icon

Go to Settings > Users and click on the picture next to your name.
    Cheesemill

Beans

i go to system > users and groups and my name comes up with a silhouette and my name, but its not clickable. theres an advanced options and add user, but it doesnt give any option to change the picture. Maybe im lost or ubuntu studio doesnt have that option?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Since Ubuntu Studio use Xfce just as Xubuntu I was under the impression that this (maybe not the most intuitive) process would work: http://askubuntu.com/questions/47186...play-it-on-log

However after several tries with 64x64, 96x72 or 96x96 either JPG or PNG I can't get anything to show on my Ubuntu Studio 13.04.

Beans
    Hidden!

Take the picture you like (at least jpg and png files work). Make it small (Edit: mine happens to be a transparent png file sized 121x150). Copy it to .face in your home directory (~/.face)

The system will recognize it as the user account icon next time you log in.
    Last edited by sudodus; August 8th, 2013 at 02:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Take the picture you like (at least jpg and png files work). Make it small (Edit: mine happens to be a transparent png file sized 121x150). Copy it to .face in your home directory (~/.face)

The system will recognize it as the user account icon next time you log in.
    Are you doing that on a Ubuntu Studio edition? Because I can't get it to work on US 13.04 at least.

Beans
    Hidden!

No, but it works with Xubuntu, Ubuntu and Linux Mint, and at least Ubuntu Studio 12.04 has the Xubuntu (XFCE) desktop environment, so I thought it should work. Did you log out and log in again (or reboot)? Are you running only Ubuntu Studio 13.04?

Are we talking about the same user logo, the one that shows in some log in screens and 'change user' menus?

Beans
    Hidden!

I just checked in Ubuntu 12.04 and Lubuntu 13.10 (Saucy alpha 2). It works with .face in the home directory. For example users-admin will use it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The technique of putting a .face image in the home folder will put that image alongside the user name in Users and Groups. To put it alongside the name at log in on Ubuntu Studio we need to go to Settings Manager>Session and Starup>General tab>Session chooser and tick the box Display Chooser on Login. And then log out and log in. I have just tested it on Ubuntu Studio Saucy Salamander.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    No, but it works with Xubuntu, Ubuntu and Linux Mint, and at least Ubuntu Studio 12.04 has the Xubuntu (XFCE) desktop environment, so I thought it should work. Did you log out and log in again (or reboot)? Are you running only Ubuntu Studio 13.04?

Are we talking about the same user logo, the one that shows in some log in screens and 'change user' menus?
    I know. It *should* work since US use Xfce. And yes, I mean the same user logo.

I only have access to a US 13.04 machine at the moment but will check on 12.04 later on. I did log out/in and reboots as well during my tests.

Mind you, I'm not the OP just confused why it won't work on Ubuntu Studio since it should behave in the same way as Xubuntu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast