Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Edge Superphone Indiegogo Campaign

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu Edge Superphone Indiegogo Campaign

I backed this project and spammed all my contacts, but no-one seems similarly enthusiastic. You can see people who used your link to back the project in this handy IndieGogo referral page.

But no way we're gonna make the deadline with this speed!
    📻 Amp.lol. No bloat, just radio. 🤘

Beans

Ubuntu Edge will miss $32m crowdfunding target, say researchers:

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...rediction-miss

(Maybe this was already posted. I looked, but didn't see it.)

Beans

It's a dud obviously. The funding streak has pretty much dried up. It looks like this will hurt Canonical's reputation, and damage their credibility in the mobile space before they even enter it. Sad really, but the bar was set far too high, and the specifications REALLY should have been finalised before seeking funding..

Beans

They should have first researched other crowd funded projects and implemented a Perk tiering in line with other projects. Normally you would have an affordable perk , then premium perks that offer bonuses which in the end bring up the average price/unit to the desired amount $780-$800. Example:

$Any -- Donators
    $20 – Founder
    $50 – T-shirt
    $90 – Specially designed case ($20 to make – $70 profit)
    $230 – Specially design simple Dock ($60 to make – $170 profit)
    $695 – One Ubuntu Edge
    $995 – Special edition Edge in polished silver color
    $10,000 – One of a kind Perk

This is the win , win method commonly used. It offers an affordable Edge offering which people will back, It offers people the Docks , Case etc they are asking for, it gets Canonical to their target with the average $/Edge that they need.

The biggest selling point is the fact it can be docked and used as a desktop - yet they don't offer a Dock as a Perk which everyone is asking for. That's just poor and very disappointing

Also, I know it would have been hard if not impossible to do, but if they could have gotten a carrier to offer the Edge on contract in the US and the UK for ~ $300 as a Perk, it would have romped it in.
    Unfortunately the sad fact is that the majority of people buy phones on contract, as the upfront cost is to confronting for them. It's crazy , as they end up paying more, but that's the way it is. By not having a Contract offering , the campaign ruled out all of the majority of smart phone buyers in the market who only buy on contract. Oh well, maybe this will still happen, I see they are talking to carriers as of late.

Also, someone mentioned a pretty good idea in the campaign comments . Basically they suggested adding a Perk where you pay a $400 deposit now and the remaining amount in November. I think something like that would be an awesome idea.
    Last edited by yJY4YYt; August 5th, 2013 at 01:16 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ZarathustraDK View Post
    It doesn't specify if other EU citizens have to pay VAT, only UK.

What matters to us is WHERE the package is shipped from after we've paid. If it ships to me from China I get to pay $200 extra. If it's imported to the UK first (getting the VAT paid with the pledge) and then shipped to me I don't have to pay VAT.
    They confirmed to me by email orders to EU countries will be shipped from the UK.

Beans

Here's just a render i made yesterday of the ubuntu edge

See it also on my DA http://anthrabox.deviantart.com/art/...ning-390718754

Beans

There's an AMA session today regarding the Edge.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...nd_ubuntu_for/

Beans

Feel free to spread this round...

Beans

Hahaha this is amazing!

Beans

@zdrx4d3: I just want to give an advice on the model. I think it's better if you put an Ubuntu/Android UI on the screen. Maybe the animation change between Ubuntu/Android UI as it turn its screen towards us. Also I think it's better if you put the dead line for the project.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast