Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: easiest way to cp files 'tween two Lubuntus that share the same router/house

Beans

easiest way to cp files 'tween two Lubuntus that share the same router/house

hi,
    I've tried samba and it works but had this major annoyance that starting to copy a 2 GB large directory it told me will do it in 40 minutes.
    I declined and came here looking for a friendly how-to that works and is decent speedwise.

Beans

Re: easiest way to cp files 'tween two Lubuntus that share the same router/house

If this is just a one-off type of thing here's something easy enough to try and undo if it doesn't work:

Open a terminal and cd to the directory containing the file you want the other machine to copy. For example, If I have a large file in my Documents folder then in a terminal:
    Code:
    cd Documents
    Then run the following command:
    Code:
    python -m SimpleHTTPServer
    Now on the client machine open up your Web Browser and enter:
    Code:
    http://192.168.0.100:8000
    Where 192.168.0.100 is the ip address of the machine with the file to be copied.

It should list the contents of the directory so you could then right click the file and use the "save link as" function.

If it works then undo the temporary http server you created by running: Ctrl+C

Beans

Re: easiest way to cp files 'tween two Lubuntus that share the same router/house

yesss
    it works, why would I need a samba construction just for this
    I thank you greatly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    If this is just a one-off type of thing here's something easy enough to try and undo if it doesn't work:
    Code:
    python -m SimpleHTTPServer
    Now on the client machine open up your Web Browser and enter:
    Code:
    http://192.168.0.100:8000
    Where 192.168.0.100 is the ip address of the machine with the file to be copied.

It should list the contents of the directory so you could then right click the file and use the "save link as" function.

If it works then undo the temporary http server you created by running: Ctrl+C
    Can this be used to make files accessible to outside of lan?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kurja View Post
    Can this be used to make files accessible to outside of lan?
    It probably could but I wouldn't do it - and in fact I never used it that way.

This isn't a full fledged HTTP server with all the security mechanisms in place that make it safe. This is for when you absolutely positively have to get a file from A to B in your own network.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yes I realize that security would be a big issue, but seems like a super convenient way to temporarily share a folder to someone outside of lan. I tried it but it didn't work 'out of the box', maybe I'll need to forward that port on my router/nat.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kurja View Post
    Yes I realize that security would be a big issue, but seems like a super convenient way to temporarily share a folder to someone outside of lan. I tried it but it didn't work 'out of the box', maybe I'll need to forward that port on my router/nat.
    You need to do that indeed and I hope you're aware of the security issue already discussed above. That said, when accessing from outside your LAN you'll be using your public IP, the one given by your ISP (or you can use some DDNS).
    Galiza Nação!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

We use NitroShare on our LAN. Works great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Vladlenin5000 View Post
    You need to do that indeed and I hope you're aware of the security issue already discussed above. That said, when accessing from outside your LAN you'll be using your public IP, the one given by your ISP (or you can use some DDNS).
    Those 'security issues' just got even better as I discovered that port forwarding alone won't cut it - my zyxel router's firewall also needs to be disabled, there's no configuring an exception to it as the firewall settings consist of an on/off button

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast