Thread: delete ubuntu (completely) and reinstall it?

Beans

delete ubuntu (completely) and reinstall it?

I was having problems earlier with ubuntu becuase I had installed gnome 3 and did not like it. after uninstalling it, i was having some gnome files still there so i decided to reinstall ubuntu. the way i did it was i created a bootable usb stick (uefi) and when i came across the option to either "install it alongside ubuntu", "delete ubuntu", etc., i used the "something else" option. after i pressed on that option i deleted all partitions and created one big unallocated space and then re did the swap and root partitions. now that i have my ubuntu up and running again, i think i still have some old gnome stuff on here.

so, what is the correct way of COMPLETELY removing ubuntu and reinstalling it so its a fresh copy?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: delete ubuntu (completely) and reinstall it?

If you created a separate /home, you can install and save your files. If not and the drive has nothing else on it then you can just choose to let the installer make the decissions. I would recommend chosing the option to designate a separate /home and the date partition / to be created. The data partition doesn't need to be larger than 10Gib max. If this all sounds confusing look here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

Beans

i really dont care about home partition because all my files are in a seperate ntfs partition that i use with windows and ubuntu (i dualboot) so correct me if im wrong, the procedure in the first post is right?
    Last edited by mreyna16; June 11th, 2013 at 03:00 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mreyna16 View Post
    i think i still have some old gnome stuff on here
    Like what?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The correct way to wipe off and reinstall Ubuntu would be,
    do the something else option in the installer
    Locate your Ubuntu partition
    Select and choose edit or change (forget what it's called)
    Select Mount point (The root mount point is /)
    Select filesystem ( filesystem ext4 is usual the default)
    click on format checkbox
    Press Ok or enter or whatever.
    Reformatting will clear the partition and start fresh.

But aside note, Ubuntu is Gnome based, so it'll always have gnome packages.
    Last edited by deadflowr; June 11th, 2013 at 03:10 AM. Reason: brainfart
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mreyna16 View Post
    I was having problems earlier with ubuntu becuase I had installed gnome 3 and did not like it. after uninstalling it, i was having some gnome files still there so i decided to reinstall ubuntu. the way i did it was i created a bootable usb stick (uefi) and when i came across the option to either "install it alongside ubuntu", "delete ubuntu", etc., i used the "something else" option. after i pressed on that option i deleted all partitions and created one big unallocated space and then re did the swap and root partitions. now that i have my ubuntu up and running again, i think i still have some old gnome stuff on here.

so, what is the correct way of COMPLETELY removing ubuntu and reinstalling it so its a fresh copy?
    Why do you think you "still have some old gnome stuff"?
    If you have deleted the Ubuntu partitions and re-created them then you will NOT have any 'old gnome stuff'.

However the simpler way would have been to just reformat the Ubuntu partitions, except the SWAP and reinstall. You didn't have to delete the partitions, unless off course you wanted new size and arrangement for partitions.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

As long as you formatted (and since you deleted the old partitions, you did in essence) then you're fine.
    Unity is still based off of Gnome so it will have Gnome packages by default.

Also recommend doing a separate /home partition in the future.