Thread: software suggestions needed! loading up the new install.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Lightbulb software suggestions needed! loading up the new install.

Hello everyone! Since i have my G3 iMac going with lubuntu 12.04.. I'm looking for just a few basic suggestions to follow up on for nice apps. What i'm looking for:

-A bittorent client with a search function... preferably one that does not display the actual torrent web sites... bad ads if you know what i mean. have children.
    -Will google chrome work on ppc architecture? havent looked into it... or the newest firefox? i'm using out of the box lubuntu firefox whatever version.
    -Will the included audacious sync with an ipod?
    -i love gimp but... has anyone used a wine emu of photoshop???
    -I like cool looking task managagers and status monitors... netwk, hdd, up/dn, temp... i just dont know what will work with ppc.

Problem being i installed "OSX 10.4" software on the cpu (when i had OSX on it) and it ended up being intel based and crashed the hd. Thats why i installed lubuntu in the first place, because i have no ieee1394 )firewire( drive to install os x.

Dont wanna run into compat, issues!

Cant wait to check out your suggestions.. long live the mac.

Beans

Re: software suggestions needed! loading up the new install.

-Google Chrome doesn't work on PPC
    -Audacious doesn't sync with iPods last I checked. You'll need Banshee or Rhythmbox for that.
    -"has anyone used a wine emu of photoshop???" Wine doesn't work on PPC.
    -Task managers and status monitors are all fine on PPC as long as you don't need to monitor a battery. I use Conky, though it's kind of a pain to set up. The applets included with the Lubuntu taskbar are good.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

thanks for the simple answers! chrome isnt the end of the world, guess firefox is ok!!
    -banshee will be needed so thank you.
    -no wine for ppc.. ok! which emu is used if any?

awesome. i like this forum so far out of all forums i visit, this is the highest traffic and most replies from friendly people.

Beans

If you need to run old PPC apps (designed for use on Mac OS 7.5 through Mac OS 9.0.4), you can attempt to compile or install Sheepshaver...

Though, you would need to obtain a usable "ROM" file to actually use the emulator and you'd also need access to a Mac OS installation disc (versions 8.x through 9.0.4, but nothing after 9.0.4). Compatibility isn't perfect though, particularly for games. There are a bunch of other issues with Sheepshaver, though if you really need to use Photoshop, I've managed to use Photoshop v3.0-6.0 on it. Keep in mind though that I was using the Windows version of Sheepshaver. The current -LINUX- version of Sheepshaver should work much in the same way however.

Installation/set-up details are here: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rkmugen View Post
    If you need to run old PPC apps (designed for use on Mac OS 7.5 through Mac OS 9.0.4), you can attempt to compile or install Sheepshaver...

Though, you would need to obtain a usable "ROM" file to actually use the emulator and you'd also need access to a Mac OS installation disc (versions 8.x through 9.0.4, but nothing after 9.0.4). Compatibility isn't perfect though, particularly for games. There are a bunch of other issues with Sheepshaver, though if you really need to use Photoshop, I've managed to use Photoshop v3.0-6.0 on it. Keep in mind though that I was using the Windows version of Sheepshaver. The current -LINUX- version of Sheepshaver should work much in the same way however.

Installation/set-up details are here: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ubuntu
    I've been told wine will not work on ppc. How about QEMU?

What i'm looking for is info on is using an emulator to emulate windows or osX.... but to run on lubunutu 12.04 on my g3 ppc chip. I'm not the biggest emu buff so i want to be safe and not fry (literally..smoke and flame) my processor which i have seen happen before on a windows machine running emulation of OSX. so i guess i'm looking for an x86 or darwin emu for lubuntu 3.23 ppc architecture. Always appreciate replies! thanks!