Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unity Tweak Tool destroyed my desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Unity Tweak Tool destroyed my desktop

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    I'm still waiting for the OP to get back in the thread.
    I hope GreggZed has the same kind of problem as nevle does

Beans
    Distro

Huh? Could you clarify what do you mean by those "hot corners," do you mean that you can't set them up?

Does Unity start up normally after login? And do you want to get your Gnome 3 still working

First, fix if you have broken packages (if you have any)
    Code:

sudo apt-get -f install
    Make sure you have all these installed (run this to see if you have):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-shell metacity libcaribou0 libcaribou-common gir1.2-upowerglib-1.0 gir1.2-telepathyglib-0.12 gir1.2-json-1.0 libmutter0a gir1.2-caribou-1.0 gir1.2-gck-1 libmozjs185-1.0 mutter-common gnome-shell-extensions gir1.2-polkit-1.0 gir1.2-gcr-3 gir1.2-gkbd-3.0 gnome-icon-theme-full gir1.2-telepathylogger-0.2 gir1.2-gtop-2.0 gir1.2-coglpango-1.0 gnome-themes-standard gdm gjs gir1.2-accountsservice-1.0 gir1.2-ibus-1.0 gir1.2-gdesktopenums-3.0 xserver-xephyr gtk2-engines-pixbuf gir1.2-mutter-3.0 libgjs0c gir1.2-xkl-1.0    gir1.2-cogl-1.0    gnome-themes-standard-data gir1.2-clutter-1.0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi, reinstalled all those packsges, got 2 errors-unable to locate libmutter0a and gnome-themes-standard-data (have libmutter0 , gnome-themes-standard ). I am using fluxbox at the moment but usually use gnome-shell and would like to get it fixed. After logging in and getting my wallpaper, where am i, i cant be in a window manager otherwise i couldnt start fluxbox or unity without getting an error. If i understand correctly i have to fix gnome-shell which will then appear at my login page with the other options, the packages i reinstalled should have fixed gnome-shell?
    Just rebooted-same as before-login drops me into a screen with my wallpaper, nothing else. I open a terminal and type wichever wm i want(apart from gnome3)
    Last edited by nevle; May 5th, 2013 at 02:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nevle View Post
    If i understand correctly i have to fix gnome-shell which will then appear at my login page with the other options, the packages i reinstalled should have fixed gnome-shell?
    Hello again. Yes this is exactly what I thought, but it didn't seem to work...

Do you have any session alternatives when you log in?
    It's a kind of magic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

hi no alternatives. I installed fluxbox but it didn't appear at login so how can i manually add another wm to my sessions?? file/dir . Or perhaps i just don't turn off my computer..

Beans
    Distro

Does this help?

The content of your new gnome.desktop should look like this
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=GNOME
    Comment=This session logs you into GNOME
    Exec=gnome-session --session=gnome
    TryExec=gnome-shell
    Icon=
    Type=Application
    X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=gnome-session-3.0
    Make sure that it's allowed to be run as an excecutable.

But this still won't fix the issue you are having when launching gnome-shell...

Also, would you post a list of the packages you have installed? Let's make sure that you have the required packages. You get the list by running
    Code:
    dpkg --get-selections > installed-software
    I did some research on the internet, and your problem seems to be most likely related to broken packages. I'm running out of suggestions if re-installing the packages didn't work either
    Last edited by hil4vitkutin; May 5th, 2013 at 09:08 AM.
    It's a kind of magic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i created a new .desktop file in xsessions, excecutable. Re-booted. same. I uploaded installed packages file for you but i think it might be time to consider re installing ubuntu, perhaps 12.04. i'll wait for your reply, the computer still mostly works hmmm perhaps kde (no!)..a glass of cider maybe.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Want to give one more try?

It looks like you do not have the following packages installed (see the list in step 2). You are also missing a few font packages, which could explain the font errors you got when starting synaptic via terminal. That last one is a package many other packages depend on, and you should have it installed.

So what you could try for the last time is completely uninstalling and reinstalling the following.

1. Get to your terminal, and start the synaptic package manager as sudo (sudo synaptic, I think you are familiar with this). It would be better if you don't start any WM at this point, stick to the terminal.

2. Mark the following packages for "complete removal". I want to emphasize *completely*

evolution
    evolution-data-server

fonts-khmeros-core
    fonts-nanum
    fonts-tlwg-garuda

ttf-punjabi-fonts

lightdm-remote-session-uccsconfigure

3. Install the packages above you just uninstalled (be sure to mark them all! )

4. Reboot and cross your fingers.

It's a kind of magic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

hi hil4vitkutin,
    My login page remains the same (no options) BUT i now get straight into gnome3 desktop. YAY!
    Even my font problem appears to have gone, and I can live with the login page quirk.
    I can't thank you enough for all the time that you have spent on helping me with this problem, these forums are one of the main reasons i first used and continue to use ubuntu.
    thanks

Beans
    Distro

Hi there!

Phew, what a relief that that worked Now I can spend all nights just watching movies

Nice to hear that your major problems are now fixed if we don't count that "login page quirk" – I must now just hope that the original poster of this thread can utilise the same solution you did . I can still try to look for an answer why the options don't appear to the login page. I'll contact you by PMs, I think it's a separate issue and doesn't belong to this thread

You'll hear from me.

p.s. I don't really watch movies that much
    It's a kind of magic.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast