Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bug: Updated xserver-xorg-video-intel to crash xorg

Beans

Re: SERIOUS BUG updated xserver-xorg-video-intel to crash xorg

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyboysmithy View Post
    If you want to test it run minecraft. When my brother plays that on the new kernel it locks up in within the hour but usually much less.

With ubuntu 12.10 the 3.5.0-25-generic kernel still causes the same crash with me.
    I had to go back all the way to 3.5.0-21.
    I have problems, on Ubuntu 12.10 x64, with 3.5.0-25-generic, too.

Beans

its actually very terrible. what has happened to Ubuntu?
    this kind of bug should not be allowed happen in LTS versions (like 12.04).
    sometimes the kernel updates happen so frequently even several times a week, perhaps its a sign that the last release wasn't tested enough ....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have been affected by this bug:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=25497

Its been for 9 years in Linux and no one seems to be bothered

Beans

@krishna.988
    the purpose of my criticism is to help improve ubuntu and linux, but you seem to mention unrelated/useless bug here to shun linux, but please stick back to your MSTabletz and dont waste your time here;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1zxDa3t0fg

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by linux_one View Post
    @krishna.988
    the purpose of my criticism is to help improve ubuntu and linux, but you seem to mention unrelated/useless bug here to shun linux, but please stick back to your MSTabletz and dont waste your time here;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1zxDa3t0fg

If that is your thinking I can't help it..I'm not a fan of either Linux or Windows. for your kind information..I use what works for me..and I don't want to waste time..What is your whole idea of sharing the video which is irrelevant for this discussion..It seems pretty infantile..try changing your cerebrations..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

3.5 & 3.7 kernels are not that good; better to use 3.8 kernel now. You can get it by installing that ppa: ubuntu-x-swat/r-lts-backport (when the 3.8 kernel is installed, then deactivate that ppa and re-update again to avoid other problems with the extra packages)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

@Dino99 could you please link to the page to the ppa for the 3.8 kernel, I'm not positive I've got the right one.

EDIT: I enabled the updates-proposed repository and installed a newer kernel (3.5.0-27-generic) from there.
    Looking at the changelog there have been some changes to the i915 driver and other graphics related stuffs in this particular kernel.
    ̶S̶o̶ ̶f̶a̶r̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶m̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶e̶,̶ ̶a̶l̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶I̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶b̶a̶b̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶i̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶l̶o̶n̶g̶e̶r̶ ̶b̶e̶f̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶b̶l̶e̶
    Not stable. Media doesn't mount properly. I'm going back to good ol 12.04 and staying there
    Last edited by jonnyboysmithy; March 30th, 2013 at 06:44 AM.

Beans

I'm very disapointed... for a LTS version !
    I work with 12.04 LTS with Pentium G630 PC's and i think i'll re-install the 12.04 LTS without any kernel updates until this big bug will be corrected.
    Last edited by adoslyon; March 28th, 2013 at 06:17 PM.

Beans

like roadfighter, i also have a p8h67-m pro motherboard, and have run into the same problem with the recent update. i reinstalled 12.04 and found that the newer xserver-xorg-video-intel does not matter, only the newer kernels cause the crashing to occur. i tried both 64 and 32 bit installs and that also makes no difference. somthing changed in the kernel to cause these hangs.
    ::ann

Beans

I am using Ubuntu 12.04 3.5.0.26 kernel version and my display freezes almost every hour. Once it completely stopped working and I had to run previous kernel version 3.5.0.17 through grub menu. Thankfully that worked, otherwise I would be scratching my head completely on how to recover from this video driver crash. I am using Dell Inspiron laptop.

Please let me know any which way I can get rid of this problem. If you need any data or configuration details from my system, I can provide you immediately. Also, I am a newbie to Ubuntu having started using it for past 2-3 months only. So, any complicated steps, you should explain in little more detail.

Thanks for your help

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast