Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eee pc 4gb was Linux, now Win XP. I want to reinstall Linux but no option to boot fro

Beans

Re: Eee pc 4gb was Linux, now Win XP. I want to reinstall Linux but no option to boot

Quote Originally Posted by s1wood View Post

On mine, when you go into the BIOS and select boot, the 'select boot' option doesn't show up a USB or SD card unless you first go into the item below which allows you alter the order of HDDs...

Susan
    As I was so unfamiliar with what a BIOS even was Susan, your post really helped me and since then I managed to enable boot from my USB and installed Linux - Thank you it really helped.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Eee pc 4gb was Linux, now Win XP. I want to reinstall Linux but no option to boot

I would recommend the version of Puppy Linux based on Ubuntu 12.04:

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=07515

My only issue with puppy is that it is pretty sparse. Yeah, it has an extremely small footprint but I think most folks would be happier with, say, lubuntu...especially if you're a neophyte transitioning from winxp.

Don't hesitate to nuke your current linux install. First, Xandros is awful and should never have been installed in the first place. Almost any modern distro properly sized will work much better. As you're learning about Linux it's good to be experimental.

I haven't hung out here in a long time but this forum used to be a go-to spot for eeepc users. It's not as active as it used to be but some searching might help you learn:

http://forum.eeeuser.com/index.php?/...-eee-pc-linux/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Get rid of the Xandros. I gave up on it when I found it wasn't updating firefox automatically and I was being warned my version was obsolete.

I have Puppy installed on a 2GB SD card for occasional use and it works well.

Susan
    Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz 1.5GB RAM
    Xubuntu 12.04
    Computers are my mid-life crisis - it could have been worse!

Beans

I have installed the puppy Linux and found it to be great fun just messing around for a couple of hours - so ,much more navigable than the xandros version I have permanently installed on my machine. I want to completely replace the xandros version I have on the maqchine with the puppy version I have on my USB so that when I log off and remove the usb then log back on again it will load the puppy and not the xandros as it is doing now. Do I have to be online to do this or can I do it from the machine as it is?

Thanks friends, I am getting there but I am making myself a little dizzy with the speed I am moving at ha...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123