I have installed Ubuntu 12.04 to my Lenovo G585 laptop; this laptop has an AMD Radeon 6310 graphics card. After downloading and installing over 300MB of stuff, including the 'restricted' AMD driver, Ubuntu could no longer boot. I resolved this by managing to enter the terminal-only mode and disabling the new driver through jockey-text. My goal is to get a proper driver installed so that I can play TF2, and I have a few options at this juncture which I would appreciate input on;

Firstly is OldFreds suggestion from the previous thread that I need to try installing the headers - I will definitely do this, and then reinstall the jockey-recommended driver, because there is no apparent risk in it. My only question before I go and do it is, does jockey always redownload the driver, or not? This will be the third time I have told it to download+install the same driver, and there was a potential that I had created a corrupt version by forcing Jockey to terminate the first time. I don't want to just keep reinstalling the same corrupt version, I want to force it to redownload (if it isn't already).

Then, if that does not work, is http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410...scn=1361421411. Before I do that, though, I want to make sure that, in the event of failure, this driver will be available to deactivation through the jockey-text program? Otherwise how would I disable it and return to basic driver? Or should I just try the 'experimental' driver, first, before leaving the realm of 'jockey'? Is there any good chance of it working where the 'update' version seemed not to?

You can see the previous thread if you want more detailed info, but it shouldn't be necessary.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2121279

A very side question: currently I am entering terminal-only mode by booting to the 'recovery mode' on the grub2 menu, selecting the terminal option, and then ordering a shut down. This last step troubles me somewhat, but works and seems to be essential? Without it I cannot login and the jockey-text gives strange complaints/warnings, does not function properly. I am thinking the 'recovery mode' terminal is not a true terminal? But it is still strange to me that I order a 'shut down' in order to actually start the machine proper. I discovered this by accident.