Thread: I wrecked my Nvidia drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I wrecked my Nvidia drivers

I have an Asus N56 VJ-SH71 that has an NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M. I have been trying to install drivers so I can use the gpu in Ubuntu 12.10. I ran
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    On the next boot Ubiquity stopped working and I had a 640x480 screen. I was unable to open xconfig nor anything else aside from the terminal but I have no idea what I could do in teminal anyway, so I purged that nvidia driver and hoped everything would return to normal. Ubiquity returned but ever since I am stuck with a 640x480 display. I tried to change that in display settings but it shows no other option than 640x480.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it.

Beans

Re: I wrecked my Nvidia drivers

Delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
    Code:
    sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Then, log out to restart X. Is all back to normal? If so, and your laptop has Optimus/hybrid graphics ('lspci | grep -i vga' will show intel and nvidia GPU), then you follow: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: I wrecked my Nvidia drivers

Thanks! I was able to set the display back to normal. I will follow the Bublebee instructions next. Saved my bacon, you did.
    You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it.