Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dell Wireless 5530 HSPA Mobile Broadband Device (AT&T)

Beans

Dell Wireless 5530 HSPA Mobile Broadband Device (AT&T)

Hello to all. I am a very very new Ubuntu user. I have installed 12.04LTS on my Dell Latitude E4300. This laptop has an onboard AT&T (GSM) Mobile Broadband device. When I go to set up a Mobile Broadband connection, the system defaults to Dell Wireless 5530 HSPA Mobile Broadband Device. I am able to even see the IMEI number associated with the device. I have already called AT&T to test and verify that the card is active on their network. And it works in windows environment with AT&T Connection Manager software.

So, I guess you can imagine where I'm going with this...LOL! I cannot get this broadband card to work with Ubuntu. I have attached a terminal lspci -nn output. I don't even see the device in the output, but Ubuntu shows it there when I go to set it up. Does anyone have any ideas to get this mobile device t connect? Is it possible the drivers are not correct? Has anyone successfully gotten their onboard gsm card connected?

All suggestions and advice welcome. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by baddison1; January 31st, 2013 at 03:34 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: New to Ubuntu

Welcome to the forums. You have posted in the correct section but to improve your chances of getting help please use descriptive thread titles. This one is generic and gives no information about your actual problem.

Example:

'Can't connect AT&T (GSM) Mobile Broadband device'

... or something like it.

To improve your chances of help you can change the thread title by editing the first post and clicking 'Go Advanced.' Good luck.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Welcome to the forums. You have posted in the correct section but to improve your chances of getting help please use descriptive thread titles. This one is generic and gives no information about your actual problem.

Example:

'Can't connect AT&T (GSM) Mobile Broadband device'

... or something like it.

To improve your chances of help you can change the thread title by editing the first post and clicking 'Go Advanced.' Good luck.
    Thank you.....title changed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

All good.

The new title is what people will see in the thread list, even though only the first post here shows it and the rest don't.

Beans

Question Can't connect AT&T (GSM) Mobile Broadband device

title change??? not seeing new title of this thread

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Dell Wireless 5530 HSPA Mobile Broadband Device (AT&T)

Title must be changed for the thread, not for a single post.
    Done.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Can't connect AT&T (GSM) Mobile Broadband device

Quote Originally Posted by baddison1 View Post
    title change??? not seeing new title of this thread
    The new title appears only on the first post and in the thread list which comes up in New Posts so all would-be helps see the new title, not the old. The rest of the posts in the thread retain the old title.

The thread title can only be changed by editing the first post, not after that. You can go back and edit that, hit 'Go Advanced' and change it there to whatever you want, by the looks of it 'Can't connect AT&T (GSM) Mobile Broadband device'.

Beans

When I run the "ls -al..." command, this is the output I get:

bernadette@LatitudeE4300:~$ ls -al /dev/serial/by-id/*
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Jan 31 08:19 /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Dell_Dell_Wireless_5530_HSPA_Mobile_Broadband_Mini card_Device_3541420206631770-if01 -> ../../ttyACM0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Jan 31 08:19 /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Dell_Dell_Wireless_5530_HSPA_Mobile_Broadband_Mini card_Device_3541420206631770-if03 -> ../../ttyACM1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Jan 31 08:19 /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Dell_Dell_Wireless_5530_HSPA_Mobile_Broadband_Mini card_Device_3541420206631770-if09 -> ../../ttyACM2

Clearly the device is recognized by Ubuntu. But why can I not connect successfully to the AT&T network? I have already verified with AT&T that the device is active, and the IMEI # is correct. Additionally, this works flawlessly in Windos OS. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Beans

Just tried to run AT&T Communications Manager thru POL (play on linux). Isnt that supposed to be the vehicle to run any windows program on linux??? Getting more and more confused here.....*sigh*

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by baddison1 View Post
    Just tried to run AT&T Communications Manager thru POL (play on linux). Isnt that supposed to be the vehicle to run any windows program on linux?
    No. It runs some Windows applications, and the same goes for Wine.

My best unscientific and untested advice is to try a fresh install of the development version (13.04).
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast