Thread: Lenovo X1 Carbon - anyone tested external display support?

Beans

Lenovo X1 Carbon - anyone tested external display support?

Hello,

I am considering buying a Lenovo X1 Carbon laptop, and my understanding is that the hardware is pretty well-supported with a recent release of Ubuntu (12.04 and 12.10).

However, that's also the case for my MacBook Air (5,2), yet I've had a horrible time connecting it to an external display (especially projectors). This has made a couple of classes I've taught a bit awkward when I can't mirror my displays.

Since I will be giving a lot of conference presentations in 2013, I would like to at least get some confirmation from someone in the community using one that you're able to connect to typical projectors (commonly 1024x768 resolution) and have the display auto-detect and work correctly. Also let me know which version of Ubuntu you're using. I'm probably going to install 12.10 on mine.

Thanks,

Scott
    Free Software - It's About Freedom

Beans

Re: Lenovo X1 Carbon - anyone tested external display support?

I have lubuntu installed on the X1 Carbon. Everything works out of the box. Except the charge-in-15-minutes fature. The usb2lan adapter needed some driver-downloading, compiling and editing.

For presentations I use the hdmi2vga adapter. Switch on the monitor using the monitor settings. Then use arandr to configure the monitor behaviour (dual, clone, ...). PDF presentatinos can then be given using pdf-presenter-console. It has timing and preview capability. I really did not encounter any problems. The macbook air can savely be thrown out of the windows.