Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Cut back on GMO wheat to get healthier

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Cut back on GMO wheat to get healthier

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    I lived in London for a few years. The public transport there is good enough that for a lot of people owning and using a car is more pain than it's worth. I really enjoyed not owning a car for those years.
    That's a fact! I used to spend a lot of time in London, and I only ever drove there once, on Christmas day. Driving there is usually more effort than the alternative.

It's a little different down here in Portsmouth; a bike is handy, though.

Beans

That's mental on a whole bunch of levels. How can it be illegal to cross a road?
    Because not only is it illegal, its not safe to cross at any hour of the day. Most of the roads are all 4 lanes (2 one direction, 2 the other) and are heavily congested and driving very fast. Cars are such a dependency here that we actually buy our children one by 16 so that they can get around without having to use parents vehicle. Now there are a few cross walks, but those are very few and normally only consist in college campuses or around court houses. Which is why all those hot girls I grew up with in high school got big ole jiggly rolls now.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Forget the news, they rarely report accurately on science. Have you got an actual evidence-based source to back this claim up?

I know a lot of people like to cling to the idea that everything in the world is getting worse all the time, but health is one of the things that has been getting demonstrably better for some time now. I think people forget how badly off our ancestors were even as recently as the early 20th century. We've come a long way.
    You are quite right to point out that "the news" is hardly an accurate source for science and health news.
    On the one hand we are seeing (more) disease that we did not have thousands of years ago, but that is mostly because of increased life expectancy. In the Stone Age, at forty you were old. You would die of starvation, infection or trauma before you grew old enough to get cancer. Not enough food to get diabetes. Hypertension is partially a natural compensation mechanism: as you get older, arteries lose elasticity and pressure is increased to maintain adequate perfusion.

Even in the last few decades, great progress has been made, mainly in preventive medicine. Forty or fifty years ago, someone aged 70 or 80 was really old, I mean old and frail. Now there are so many healthy and fit people that age. For a large part that can be attributed to our ability to manage (not cure!) a couple of "killer" conditions: diabetes type II, hypertension, angina pectoris and to some extent congestive heart failure.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    Admittedly you can get some decent exercise just by walking, but anything more than a short distance takes a fair amount of time. In the eyes of many it breaks down to saving time, rather than effort.

Walking just one hour a day, rather than driving 5-10 minutes, consumes 22 waking days per year.
    Biking.. roller blading...

BTW I lived in Barcelona for a few months people there seem to be quite fit. One reason I think is that elevators are not common in apartments (maybe 5-6 storey or taller) so most people are used to walking up and down a few times a day with grocery and what not unless you live on the ground floor.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    Because not only is it illegal, its not safe to cross at any hour of the day. Most of the roads are all 4 lanes (2 one direction, 2 the other) and are heavily congested and driving very fast. Cars are such a dependency here that we actually buy our children one by 16 so that they can get around without having to use parents vehicle. Now there are a few cross walks, but those are very few and normally only consist in college campuses or around court houses. Which is why all those hot girls I grew up with in high school got big ole jiggly rolls now.
    They could build a tunnel or a bridge across the road, very common in high density cities in Asia.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    How is that done ???
    We don't know. That is why people are worried. If scientists or government officials knew what was wrong they could start regulating companies like Monsanto. No one knows everything about the genome of any organism that we eat. We might just changed one gene, but we don't know the repercussions of that act.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    They could build a tunnel or a bridge across the road, very common in high density cities in Asia.
    We do good to get the pot holes filled around here.. Were the poorest state in the union.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by AM Ramakrishnan View Post
    No one knows everything about the genome of any organism that we eat.
    And that is true for 99% of what you eat, regardless if it is GMO or not.
    Last edited by Statia; January 12th, 2013 at 12:22 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thru instinct, innate intelligence... whatever you call it (Buddhism calls that buddhi), it takes thousands of year for animals, man included, to adapt to the suitable food of each species - which the GMO scientists want to do in a few decades.
    The hawthorn fruits look so beautiful and tempting, but do you see any birds touching them ?

Beans

Interesting to know if this guy is right or not. A lot of people are discrediting him just because it goes against what they wish to believe.

This man is a physician. That means he went to 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school, did 3 years of general residency (prolly working 70-80 hrs per week), and then did 3 years of cardio residency. He knows the human body inside and out, dissected real cadavers etc... This isnt joe schmo trying to get popularity and some fast money. Also please look up cardiologist salary (hint its north of 300,000 per year). I doubt this man is just trying to money grab.

I wouldn't dismiss him so quickly. Although i do agree that results should be verified.

I am originally from europe and one thing that i noticed is that when you eat food in europe you stay hunger free for a very long time. In america, after you eat, you are perpetually hungry. As a result, people here are insane about food, always talk about food, and always think about food. In europe its not like that.

I recently went back for a vacation and noticed the exact same effect. Eating a normal meal kept me hunger free for more than half the day. Coming back to USA, and I was constantly snacking and eating things because I was always hungry.

My family has long suspected that they put some kind of a poison into food here to make everyone hungry. I have been thinking about this for years. It is possible that its simply part of our diets due to being incorporated into GMOs.

I have no bias or agenda against GMOs or anything of that kind. But there is a sharp increase of diabetes and other conditions in the united states. Sure, some of it can be attributed to bad habbits and lazy lifestyle...

But that hunger. Hunger that wont go away... i experience it here every day and it is definitely not normal.

If you ever have a chance to go to a less developed country (try eastern europe)... eat their food for a few weeks. You will see what i mean.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast