Thread: Radeon HD 3000, No sound over DVI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Radeon HD 3000, No sound over DVI

Hi All,

I have an integrated ATI Radeon HD 3000 that is capable of 8 channel audio over DVI. However I am getting no sound over the DVI connection. I did a clean install of mythbuntu and used the additional drivers option to install the propriety FGLRX driver. I should add HDMI video works fine!

System:
    AMD Phemon 2 x4
    M4A78LTM LE Motherboard
    DVI to HDMI Adapter
    Mythbuntu 12.04

The Graphics card does not seem to be being detected as an audio device.

Code:
    $ aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: VT1708S Analog [VT1708S Analog]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: VT1708S Digital [VT1708S Digital]
    card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 2: VT1708S HP [VT1708S HP]
    Code:
    $ lspci | grep Audio
    00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
    Code:
    $ lspci | grep VGA
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS780L [Radeon HD 3000]
    I enabled sound in /etc/grub/defaults according to this guide http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=273093

Esentially all I want is to be able to get 5.1 digital audio out of my pc and into my speaker system (hdmi and digital audio in).

but still not detected - anyone got any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Radeon HD 3000, No sound over DVI

I have never in my life seen audio coming out of a DVI connector my friend neither from VGA. Only from HDMI or normal analog audio connectors (the ones u use for headphones and such). That is why you dont detect it as audio hardware

HDMI audio should work though. I would suggest checking on the mythbuntu forums (unless that's here and I didnt know). I remember that to get audio working on my nVidia GT230 I had to do something about it, like use a custom thing (I did it for xbmc and it worked, now I can choose between 5.1 analog and the digital hdmi).

But, DVI... is video only, not audio. HDMI is video and audio.

ELP
    HTPC: MSI FM2-A55M-E33 mobo, Amd A8-5600k APU, 6GB RAM, 120GB Crucial SSD Ubuntu Mate 15.04, 500GB Windows XP SP3, HDMI Video, 5.1ch Analog Audio, XBMC/Kodi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Radeon HD 3000, No sound over DVI

From a lot of googling it seems that it is quite possible to output a full HDMI signal (inc sound) out of the DVI port, through a DVI->HDMI adapter and into a TV.

The motherboard I'm using (Asus M4A78LT-M LE) even has printed on the board 8 Channel Audio DVI Interface. I'm guessing this is a linux driver problem???

Asus Motherboard
    Last edited by tez1982; December 30th, 2012 at 11:16 PM.